Chapter 10: When the Music Stops

Marshall tried to remember how he’d ended up on her website. He’s just been checking his emails and Paul had sent him the finished photos they’d taken earlier this morning. They’d come out fantastic and Paul had told him they’d be plastered all over the streets by the end of the week. He hadn’t heard back from Riley about them… but he could only guess she hadn’t seen them yet. And because the photos looked so good, he must have plugged her name into google and ended up at her site.

She looked amazing in the gallery on her site. There were hundreds of photos from different shoots. He was surprised she wasn’t more popular. She was so beautiful… and how she looked on the Ferris wheel at the Pier took his breath away. She really wasn’t like other girls.

So many women tried to get with him because of his title and money and fame… Kim was the only one who he could trust because she’d been with him since the beginning. But… things didn’t work out between them and Riley had done everything in her power to keep things mostly professional between them. She hadn’t advanced on him like most women. She treated him like a normal human being, instead of some famous rapper. Everyone just wanted their five minutes of fame but she was so genuine with her affection, he almost couldn’t take it.

And what was going to happen after they shot the music video, tommorrow? He prayed that once they’d finished working together she’d be more inclined to take their relationship further. But it worried him that she might fall back into her comfort zone, give a professional goodbye and they’d hardly see each other again. That was the last thing he wanted.

The phone suddenly rang and he reached out for the hotel phone on the desk but realized it was his mobile. Reaching into his pocket, the screen flashed with Kim’s caller ID. Frowning… the world seemed to fade around him. What could she want? Maybe it was just something simple… probably about Hailie. He couldn’t just ignore the call… but there was a deep twisting in his gut, like he’d done something wrong and he shouldn’t answer.

Cautiously, he hit the answer button and lifted it to his ear. “Kim?”

There was a pause, “Uhm… hi. How’s LA going?”

He didn’t even know what to say. They’d hardly spoken since the divorce papers were signed. And she sounded different. It wasn’t like she was genuinely wondering how his work was going but more getting to a point. “Not bad,” He finally said.

“Have you seen the news lately?” She asked, tone slightly more bitter.

He leant forwards in his desk chair, grabbed the remote and flicked on the TV. “Not yet.” That’s when he saw a media coverage of this afternoon’s fiasco at Santa Monica Pier. His mouth dropped a little. “Shit.”

“Who is she?” Kim asked, her jealous tone leaking through.

“Her name’s Riley. I’m working with her,” He returned, innocently.

Another pause. “Is it serious?”

Shit… he didn’t even know the answer to that himself. He really liked her but… fuck. “We’re divorced, Kim.”

There was a crack in her voice. “I know… I just-”

There was rustling in the background then a child’s voice could be heard. “Mummy! Is that Daddy? Can I say hi?” He smiled at the sound of Hailie’s voice.

Kim sighed, “In a minute, baby. Mummy and daddy are talking.” The background noise faded. When Kim spoke again, her voice was full of conflicting emotions. She was angry and upset; never a good combination. “Look, I hope you’re having a wonderful time with your new girlfriend but I’m not going to be the one who tells Hailie that we divorced.”

“Kim?” Marshall cursed as he realized that she’d hung up. He dialed again and it went straight to the message bank. Hopelessly, he tried two more times and received the same response. Anger flared through his bones. She didn’t understand. She didn’t even let him explain. He threw back his arm and hurled his phone against the opposite wall. It smashed into pieces and he stood there, breathing heavily.

Sitting down on the edge of his bed, he buried his face in his hands and sighed. He’d never wanted it to work out like this… Everything was going wrong.