Chapter 7: Aftermath

Carol’s voice announced the end of the photo-shoot. Keen to run away from the whole situation, Riley skirted off towards the dressing room so fast, that Marshall didn’t even have time to stop her. It was crazy how she’d felt so secure and safe in his arms. How warm his hold was. How deep he’d looked her in the eyes. How much she was falling for him…

Did she really just admit that to herself? Shaking her head clear, she decided she needed a strong drink… and it wasn’t even noon yet. Sighing, she threw off the costume and dressed back in the patterned summer dress she’d arrived in.

Sitting down in front of the mirror, staring at her reflection, she had to wonder what he saw in her. Even though they’d spent ages talking last night, they’d just met. There’s no way he could be interested in her for her personality. He was probably like a lot of other guys she’d dated: only in it for the looks. Guys hung around her like flies to a dead piece of meat, just because she was a model. What she’d give to me a boring office clerk and actually have a guy care about her.

There was a faint knock on the door. “Riley… can we talk?” It was Marshall.

Closing her eyes, she drew in a deep breath. There was no avoiding this guy. “Sure.”

The door gently opened, and Marshall slipped in, dressed in a blue tracksuit. “Hey,” He shut the door behind him and lent against it. “Uhm, you did really well in the shoot.”

She gave him a soft smile, “Thanks, you too.”

He just kept standing there. Staring. “So… what happened last night?”

Taking her eyes off him, mainly so she could focus, she supported her head with her palm in cheek. Sighing, she sat back in the chair and looked back at him. “I… ah…” She felt heat rising in her again, just thinking about their kiss. “Look… I know you’re pretty famous already. And I’m not and… modelling is all I have. I don’t have much to fall back on so I need this to work. I just…” She drew in a deep breath. “I wanted to remain professional.”

Marshall didn’t say anything for a minute and he almost had a sad look in his eyes. A moment later he raised his eyes back to her, “That makes a lot of sense.” He sounded so genuine. It wasn’t like he was sympathizing with her… he actually knew what it felt like to not have anything to go back to. “I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable, or nothing.”

She had had to giggle. He was trying to act cool, play it straight but say something heartfelt at the same time. She knew then, he definitely had feelings for her. The very idea made butterflies explode in her stomach. “Maybe… we could just hold off until after the video. I’d like to get to know you better.”

He nodded, shoving his hands in his pockets. Even though she’d tried to avoid talking to him for so long, she was glad everything was out in the open now. It was like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders.

“Oh what?” Marshall was staring straight at the table, at a small food platter that was sitting there. “You get yoghurt?” He reached out and grabbed one of the little tubs and a plastic spoon. “I never get this in my dressing room!”

“As if,” Riley scoffed. “It’s my favorite. What the hell do they put in yours?”

 He rolled his eyes, “Day old cheese and moldy crackers.” He muttered between spoonful’s. “Have you seen much of LA yet?”

She shook her head, “No… I was going to, yesterday, but didn’t have time.”

He nodded, swallowing the last mouthful of yoghurt, “Cali is amazing. I’ve been here a few times now, there’s loads to see.”

“I don’t really know my way around,” Riley insisted with a shrug.

“Well, if you’re not doing anything this afternoon, I could show you around. Take you to all the cliché sightsees anyway.”

She held his stare for a moment and smiled, “I would really like that.”

Riley could have sworn she saw a small grin on his lips, even just out the corner. He was the kind of guy that smiled with his eyes… they sparkled whenever he was happy. His whole face lit up, even if his mouth didn’t.

He nodded, “It’s a date.”