Chapter 53: Commercial Break

Riley felt her whole body sway as she stepped out onto the bustling New York street. Mark was saying something beside her but she couldn’t hear his voice. The world around her started to get blurry, focusing in and out. She vaguely felt hands grip her and lead her over to one of the street benches to sit. As she was forced down, Mark’s face came into focus. He was squatting down to her level, still talking in an inaudible voice.

With a slam, almost like being hit with a truck, everything came back. She was aware of the horns blaring and people talking in the streets. There was an awful scent of cigarette smoke that contrasted against the smell of the trees branching over the bench she sat on.

Mark had a concerned look on his face. “Are you okay?”

Riley drew in a deep breath, feeling her blood starting pumping again. She lifted her hand to her forehead, in disbelief. She’d kept composed through the whole meeting. Hadn’t let out an exaggerated peep or squeal. Even when they’d pulled out the employment contract and got her to sign it. It wasn’t until she stepped out the office doors, where she knew she could let herself go, that she’d started to feel faint.

“Yeah,” She couldn’t help but crack a smile, given the circumstances. “Yeah, I’m just fine. Fantastic actually. It just kind of hit me.”

Mark was grinning too. “I know, I’m so happy for you. You nailed it in there.”

“I mean…”

Riley went to stand up but Mark motioned her to stay. “Just chill there for a while, you almost passed out.”

She was too excited to even argue. “To walk out of there… I mean… Mark, I’ve been reading Marie Claire for years and I would have never thought they would want me as one of their models. And then…” She couldn’t even voice the last bit.

Mark’s smile just got wider, “I know. The commercial. Even I didn’t know about that. They must be really keen to work with you.”

Riley’s eyes fluttered back up to his, “It’s crazy. No newly signed model gets to do the magazine’s commercial in any company, let alone Marie Claire.”

Mark nodded and sat down on the bench beside her. “And so your professional career officially begins…”

Riley suddenly turned and pulled him into a tight hug. “Thank you,” She sincerely whispered. “For everything you’ve done for me. I can’t thank you enough.”

She thought back to where she’d come from. She’d been a washed up, reject for a few years before Mark found her. She’d made attempts at a career but it had never picked up. She’d been so alone, with not many friends. And that day on the beach had changed her life. With one crazy question she not only gained the best manager in the world, but also a very dear friend.

“You deserve it, darling,” Mark insisted.

Just as Riley released him, her phone rang. She knew without looking that it was Marshall. She told him the interview was going to finish at ten and he promise he’d call straight after. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone answering it.

“Hi Marshall,” She said solemnly.

His voice was upset, “Did you not get it?”

“No…” She said, softly. There was silence, as if Marshall were holding his breath. Then she added with excitement, “I got it.”

There was a huge sigh of relief on the other end. “Oh god, don’t do that to me.” He then let out a soft laugh. “You had me so scared.” He realized the impact of the news, suddenly. “But I’m so happy for you! Congratulations!”