Chapter 21: Seduction

Riley sat in silence on the kitchen bar stool, palm outstretched. Marshall had a first aid kit out and was wiping away most of the blood from her hand. There were a few drops on the counter. It wouldn’t stop bleeding, even though the cut wasn’t that deep. Marshall ran the wipe over the cut, sending pain flaring through her hand.

Hissing, she retracted it quickly, blood still trickling out the wound. “Owww.”

He frowned, “Sorry.’ He waited as she hesitantly returned her hand back to his. Neither of them could say anything about what had just happened. It was so much to take in. It wasn’t like they could approach Kim and rationally try to explain to her what was going on because… Riley didn’t even know herself what kind of relationship she and Marshall had. They hadn’t even slept- she closed her eyes. Now was not the time to be thinking about that.

Refocusing her eyes on her palm, she noticed the care Marshall took in making sure the wound was clean before pulling out what looked like an oversized Band-Aid and smoothly placed it over her palm. She withdrew her hand and examined it, closing her palm slightly. A small amount of pain zapped up to her elbow. It would be a while before she could really use her hand properly. 

“I’m sorry,” She finally said. “If I hadn’t have tripped, she wouldn’t have-”

“Stop,” Marshall said, without looking at her as he packed away the first aid kit. “It’s not your fault. I brought you into all of my mess.” He sighed, supporting his weight on his hands on the edge of the breakfast bar. He looked to the side and had a soft look in his eyes as he spoke.

“I’ve been selfish,” He admitted. “I used your situation as an excuse to bring you here. In honesty, I just wanted someone by my side. Someone who wasn’t going to judge my situation.”

“What about Proof?” Riley asked, raising a brow.

Marshall smirked, “He’s my best friend and I was looking for something…”

“More,” She finished.

There was a long stretch of silence before Marshall stood up properly. “If you want to go, I’ll book you the next flight out of here. I don’t think you want to be around for when this all blows up.”

“You mean… Kim’s going to come back?” Riley asked.

Marshall shrugged, “I’ve seen that face only a few times before.” Neither of them could forget the cold look she’d given off. “She’ll be back with guns blazing soon.”

“What are you going to tell her?” Riley asked, softly.

He ran his hand over his hair, obviously stressed. “I don’t know… I don’t think she was expecting me to move on so fast… I didn’t expect to either. But then I met you.”

Riley blushed a little but focused on keeping eye contact. His forward confession that their relationship meant something caused a huge warmth to spill from her heart and spread through her entire body.

With confidence building within her, Riley pulled a teasing smile and stood up. “All of this honesty doesn’t seem like Slim Shady at all.”

“Conflicting personalities are a bitch,” He returned with a coy smile, stepping so close enough that she could feel his hot breath on her neck. “If you want, I can show you how bad he really is.” He had an evil smile plastered on his face.

Riley felt curiosity rise within her as she pressed her body against his. “I think I might like that.”

Marshall wrapped an arm around her waist, gently rocking his hips against her. A heavy, aching warmth was growing within her and she pushed back against him in response. He muttered something indecipherable and in one swift motion, he scooped her up into his arms and carried her away.