Chapter 8: Love Game

 Marshall had to roll his eyes a little as Riley wouldn’t stop talking about the Hollywood Sign. She was sitting in the front seat of the hired car, camera around her neck, smile from ear to ear. He could only guess that she didn’t get out much. She was like a kid when it came to sightseeing. Everything was so amazing to her. He had to wonder how she was so optimistic about these things.

“I mean, it was huge! And it was so amazing! You should see the photos I got!” The excitement in her voice was undeniable. As he glanced over at her, he noticed she was facing him. “Where are we going next?”

He couldn’t help but let a sly smile creep onto his face. “It’s a surprise.”

He could tell her whole vibe dropped. “A surprise? That’s not fair.” She sat back in her seat properly, glaring out the window as if to figure out where they were headed. He knew it wouldn’t be much of a surprise as he turned down a street with a huge sign, announcing where they were headed.

Riley sat forwards, “We’re going to Santa Monica Pier?!”

He shrugged, “I thought you might want to see it.”

She looked even more excited than she did about the Hollywood Sign. “I’ve only seen pictures! We have to go on the Ferris wheel, okay?!”

He smirked, thinking how much she sounded like Hailie, right now. “Okay.” He checked his rear view mirror again, praying that they weren’t being media stalked. They were lucky at the Hollywood Sign. He hadn’t seen anybody hanging around. In fact, they’d mostly been alone. Santa Monica Pier, however, would be much more crowded. God only knows what would happen.

He took the last turn, as they pulled onto the Esplanade, driving past the beautiful beach. Riley was staring outside, drawing in a deep breath. “It’s amazing!” He pulled into a park on the side of the road, and she jumped out, hair waving in the sea breeze.

He locked the car and threw on his shades. Hopefully with them on, he’d avoid the public eye. But there was still no promises. They made their way down the stone footpath, headed towards the Pier. You could see the bustling people and the carts racing through the rollercoaster. The Ferris wheel was spinning, people shouting and the waves crashed against the shore. The sun was getting close to setting in the evening, bringing a cool chill to the beach.

Riley was walking so fast, excitement racing through her bones, so he had to practically jog to keep up. He called out to her, laughing, “Riley! Slow down. The pier is not going anywhere.” She looked back at him and pouted, but stopped and waited for him to catch up.

They strolled, peacefully, up to the edge of the pier, people bustling everywhere. He had to keep an eye on Riley because every minute she was off in another direction, hardly able to concentrate with so much going on. It was nice to see her breaking out of her shell but she was bloody hard to keep up with. One minute she’d be at a stall, then she’d be at another, then at the edge of the pier, staring out at the beach. It was almost lucky they were moving so quick. It was unlikely that someone would recognize him at this pace.

Staring at the mechanical clown heads, moving side to side, Marshall realized that Riley had left his side again. Glancing around, he couldn’t see her anywhere in the crowd. That was until he noticed that blonde wavy hair in the distance. She’d moved again.

Smirking, he caught up to her, finding her squatting down in front of a young girl and her parents. The girl had a magazine in her hand, which had a signature in black marker on the side. Riley gave the girl a hug and stood up and waved goodbye. Marshall waited until they’d left before he approached.