Chapter 15: Don't Approach Me

Chapter 15: Don’t Approach Me 

Riley was almost asleep by the time the taxi turned down her street. Their flight had been delayed and then the car hadn’t showed. By the time she’d waited for a taxi and driven all the way home, it was late afternoon and the sun was close to setting. And after such a long day of travel, she was exhausted and all she wanted to do was collapse in bed and sleep for a week. 

The taxi was closing on the apartment building but suddenly slowed right down and stopped in the middle of the road. Riley looked up from the shore and over to the opposite side of the road to see what was going on. There were about fifty vans parked outside the building and easily fifty people waiting around with cameras. That’s when she realized that half of them were new reporters. Horrified and confused, she couldn’t imagine that they were waiting for her. 

As if to notice the car, they all suddenly ran over, cameras out and flashing and filming. They swarmed the car, trying to get shots through the windows. Riley lifted her hoodie over her head to try and block their shots. The taxi driver looked uncomfortable and confused, as he probably didn’t know why the media was so interested in her. 

“Uhm… is this for you?” He asked, unable to move the car because they were so crowded. 

“Just drive, they’ll get out the way, trust me.” He revved the car and the media stepped back so the taxi driver pulled through to the car park of the apartment building. He stopped right by the front door so she could get in easily. However, the media crammed around the door, leaving her a tiny gap to get through.

 The driver parked the car. “I’ll get your bags for you, just try and get inside.” 

Riley drew in a deep breath and stepped out, her hoodie slipping off her head. The second she opened the door the media started yelling questions and snapping photos, cameras in her face. 

‘“Riley! Are in support of Eminem’s violent songs?” 

“Are you promoting bank robberies and murder?” 

“What happened on the ‘Criminal’ music video shoot?” 

“Why was it cancelled?” 

“What is your relationship with Eminem?” 

“Will the music video be rescheduled?” 

Riley pushed through the crowd, roughly and managed to squeeze into the hotel doors. The media stayed behind them, not able to enter into private property. The doorman locked the glass doors, so only those with residential swipe cards could enter. Persistently, the media tried to get shots through the glass but discovered it to be well tinted. Giving up, they set up random shots of the building, as background for news reports. 

Riley sat down on one of the lounges in the lobby, legs shaking. She couldn’t believe they’d found out where she lived. And why were they so interested in her? She was just working with Eminem. Maybe they’d come after her because Marshall hadn’t said anything about why the music video was cancelled. And like she could respond to all the questions they were asking… half of them she didn’t know herself. 

Sighing, she was glad to see the taxi driver walk in undisturbed. He wheeled her suitcase over to her. “Here you go.” 

She looked up, drawing in a deep breath. Hunched over, elbows to knees and face in palm she muttered, “Thank you so much.” 

The driver smirked, “Fucking creeps. Have a nice day.” 

Riley had to smile a little. At least someone saw how ridiculous the media had been. Even if it was someone she didn’t know. Standing, Riley made her way over to the elevator, suitcase clicking behind and rode up to the fifth floor. As the elevator chimed and the doors opened, she saw the empty hallway leading straight to her apartment.