Part 43

Greyson's POV

"Shouldn't we take her to the hospital? Why won't she wake up?"

Felicity glares at me. "Stop asking questions or go home! And we're not her parents so we can't."

I meekly silence myself. I can't help myself when I reach over and place my hand on Sadie's forehead. I open my mouth to speak, but Felicity glares at me some more.

"You're supposed to be cleaning up the house before Mom comes."

"You can go do that! I need to take care of my girlfriend!"

The silence following is deafening, and both of us stare at each other in shock.

After an eternity, we speak at the same time.

"You're girlfri-"

"I was going to ask he-"

We both shut up and stare at each other mutely.

"Greyson," she begins softly. "I need to tell you something."

When she speaks so kindly like that, something is wrong. She stands up, and gently takes Sadie's hand from mine, and lays it on the bed. Sadie lets out an agitated sigh before turning over, away from me.

"Follow me, Grey. I'll tell you outside."

Careful not to let the squeaking of the swivel chair wake Sadie, I stand up, and follow my sister out of the room. She's already on the steps, and she pats the area next to her for me to sit down. I awkwardly fold my frame into the tight space.

We don't look at each other, but I suddenly feel like a vulnerable 10 year old. The me after I woke up not recognizing any of the friends who visited, except for Alex. I just wanted to know where Sera was.

"Did she tell you she was in an accident?"

I snap away from her thoughts and face her. "What?"

"She was in an accident on March 23nd, seven years ago."

"That's the day before my birthd- oh my god."

I stand up so quickly I feel lightheaded.

"Greyson! Sit down and listen to me!" she hisses, and I crumple back down next to her. "You've turned pale."

"How long did you know?" I ask shakily. "How long did she know?"

Felicity takes my hand in hers. "I don't know, but she realized it after your guy's date, and emailed me."

"Why didn't she email me?" Hurt hits me in the gut and suddenly I struggle to breath.

"I don't think I would email the guy I liked if I was in her shoes either. But I can show you the email."

I nod, and take Felicity's phone. The email is already up for me.

I was told afterwards that the other family was coping, ... that the girl passed instantly. ... so upset over what happened in my family that I selfishly forgot that there was another party involved. ... I'm so sorry,  ... won't fix anything, won't bring your sister back, ... . so sorry that Greyson and your sister was in that car accident.

"She knows about Sera-?" My voice cracks, and my vision blurs when my sister shakes her head.

"Only by name Grey." Something crumbles in me.

"Why didn't we press charges? Sera died!"

"Grey." She closes her hand over my clenched fist. "There was no one to press charges against. Her mom died on impact."

A/N It hurts to write this.