Part 51

Greyson's POV

I fumingly stalk to the front door. I'm freezing, and the constant running (and taking short breaks) for the last eight minutes have done NOTHING.

And what's worse, I still have no idea how to ask Sadie to the dance.

Worse birthday start ever.

But I'm blocked from the front door by two straight faced band members with drums.

With their loud, obnoxious, stupid rattling drums.

That they're playing REALLY loud.

I step aside, not in a mood to deal with anyone, but two more drummers come up and flank either side, and another behind me. They drum to the same beat.

"Okay, man! I did nothing and I just wanna be left alone okay!"

They ignore me. I turn around to talk to the guy behind me, but the circle closes.

I freak.

"What is your problem!"

They impassively stare at me and push me forwards. I stumble along.

"Hey, watch it!"

Of to the side, students from the music club begin singing a rendition of that british boy band song - the one about stuff that defines someone's beauty - as four students jump in front of us - tap dancing? I stare at them, as the drummers straighten out to a line and march away.

They're dancing?

They've mistaken me for someone else.

That's what is was.

It looks like the entire 12th grade is dancing in front of the school's front door.

"So come on, you got it wrong, to prove I'm right, I put it in a song, I don't know why, you're being shy, and turn away when I look into your eye eye eyes!"

They're all smiling at me and I feel a sudden urge to shrink and hide. The students from a huge

And then the music fades out, as one voice picks up over the rest.

"Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you ---"

I stare at Sadie who is holding the mic to her lips, grinning at me, as her voice trails off.

Her voice is shaky, almost hoarse, but goshdangit it's the most wonderful sound I've ever heard.

We hold each other's gaze as the rest of the students pick up the song. Her hand holding the mic drops, and she shyly folds her arms over her chest, shivering.

"Baby, you light up my world like nobody else, the way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed, but when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell, you don't know, oh oh, you don't know you're beautiful!"

She reaches around to her backpack and pulls out a yellow legal pad of paper.

Go to the Spring Formal with me, birthday boy?

"You don't know you're beautiful, oh oh, that's what makes you beautiful!"

I break into a grin, as everyone erupts in the celebratory laughter and clapping as I run down to hug her.

"Heck yeah!" I shout.

Sadie can't hear me, but she knows. She laughs with me, a delighted expression on her face as I squeeze her.

Felicity walks up to us. "Hey Grey! Ready for school?" Turning to Sadie, she signs something, which makes Sadie blush, and skips away, like the rest of the students are.

They're not skipping, really. Only Fel.

Sadie's still shivering, so I quickly take off my letterman and drape it over her shoulders, and she pulls it around her gratefully.

I tug at the pad of paper.

You can talk?

She nods, beaming, and writes, A little. It kinda hurts. Happy birthday by the way.

Woah. I stare at her in awe, but she urgently points to her question again.

She writes, Yes or No. Circle one.

Without hesitation, I circle 'Yes,' and underline it.

“Thank you,†she says softly, smiling gently.

I nearly tear up, even more so when she wraps her arms around my torso.

When she let's go, I write, Your voice is beautiful

She smiles. I wish I could hear yours.

You're supposed to teach my how to sign, remember? That can be my birthday present.

As an afterthought, I write, You don't imagine my voice as something creepy right?

She doesn't answer my question, throwing her head back to laugh.

A/N Merry Christmas :) Hope you all experience an overwhelming peace as you fellowship with friends and family!

CoffeeArtist, the song was originally something else, but I changed it to something from 1D :) Merry Christmas.