Part 48

Sadie's POV

I really missed him, and when he woke me up, I couldn't help but to hug him. His warmth wrapped around me, and I sigh softly.
When I pull away, I take the pad of paper from my nightstand and quickly write. He takes his own, and does to.

We show each other our message at the same time.

I'm so sorry Greyson

How are you feeling?

I shyly sign, "Good" and he furrows his brow, before his eyes light up.

Did you sign 'good'?

I nod, and we break out into grins.

This is nice.

I lean back on the pillows fluffed up behind me and pat the space next to me, wanting to come sit next to me.

He awkwardly folds himself into the space next to me, and I giggle. He scootches me over so he can sit more comfortably, then places his paper pad on my lap.

He leans over to grab something off the table, and hands it to me, and I open it carefully, heart thudding.

His blocky and familiar print greets me.

On the top, Dear Sadie, Sup Sadie, and Hi Sadie, are crossed off.

I allow myself a small smile, and continue reading.

So, Felicity showed me your email, and I want you to know before anything that I'm not mad at you. I just wished you'd told me sooner. Felicity told me to try to understand from your point of view, and what I came up was this.

1. You didn't want me to know

I can't understand. So help me understand.

I look up at him, and he's fiddling with the hem of his letterman. I take the Sharpie from him and begin writing.

Greyson, I didn't want to tell you on the grounds of a guess.

I know

Like what if I was wrong? At least this way, I thought if this friendship ended, it would be because I had pursued the truth rather than called you out on a vague idea.

Call me out?

I pause. Since my biggest concern is out in the open, what I write next only leaves my heart lighter.

I originally thought your side killed my biological mom.

Greyson's eyes widen, and he shakily takes the pen from me.

I thought your side killed my sister

I nod, a sob bubbling out of me. I try to keep it in me, but I know I don't succeed when Greyson gingerly takes my hand.

I know you didn't.

I still feel like your loss wa

Before I can finish my sentence, he takes the pen away and scrawls, A man who drowns in 7 feet of water struggled no less than a man who drowns in 20 feet. Don't beat yourself up about it.

I get my own pen. But your sister is gone. My family has been replaced.

I know.

I'm really sorry.

I am too.

We stare at the pad of paper for what seems like hours. I feel like after this, we'd go back to being strangers. Strangers who don't talk, and see with an unrecognizing glance.

Are we still friends Sadie?

I look at him surprised, and he scans my expression, as his falls.

He looks away from me, and a sigh escapes him as he scratches behind his ear.

Nevermind I'm sorry I aske

I yank his pen away from him, though not as gracefully as he did, and I end up with a noticeable black streak on my ratty t-shirt.

I hope we are.

We smile at each other.

I'd like that.

A/N The next chapter is going to be fun :)

Sadie: *smirks* I know
Greyson: Hey, stop smirking that's MY job
Sadie: You're just mad because I'm the star of the next chapter
Greyson: I have the most lines!
Sadie: Aaaannnnnd for the most part you're talking about m-
Author: *screeching* OKAY OKAY NO SPOILERS PEOPLE!