rule i/don't break the rules

Alexander Lightwood
was thought by all to be the perfect child.

I was taught the rules of life. I was taught to be the golden boy and to take everything that my teachers and parents said as absolute law.

As a child, I loved to sing and dance, preferably ballet but at times those 90's break dances would make it into my routine. I loved to cook, I loved to watch my sister as she tried on different outfits for my opinion. I loved to train with my step-brother Jace. The one thing I hated more than anything it my upper class life was sports.

Sports. Sure, the guys that played were talented, no discussion, but I hated the energy, I hated the yelling, I hated the false masculine presence those men tried to put off.

So of course, when I got into the esteemed New York School for the Talented, the Institute, I wasn't there for their arts or musics program. No, I was there for football.

Mondays, five to nine.

Tuesdays, five to nine.

Wednesdays, interning at ESPN.

Thursdays, I'd accompany my father to work and stay there until ten as he often did. But for him it wasn't always for work.

Friday from five to eight I'd study for the honors program.

Saturdays were my day of spending time with my brothers and sisters outside of school. But Sunday was my day of study.

I was never to miss a moment of my schedule. I had a duty to my family to uphold the family name as the eldest son. My sister looked up to me in every sense of the word. She was one of my best friend.

My other best friend was Jace. Jace came to live with our family after he was found on our doorstep. The minute my mom laid eyes on his beautiful golden locks she knew that she needed Jace in her life. I couldn't blame her. He was beautiful. Every since we were boys I saw something in him. Maybe it was his sparkling eyes that knew what I was thinking when I would talk. Maybe it was his perfect cheekbones or his full pink lips. Or maybe it was just the arrogance and confidence he had about him. I don't know.

Jace and I were inseparable. Where he was, I was never far behind and vice verse. He was my other half, my best friend. My brother.

My sister Isabelle, Izzy, was always closer to my baby brother Max who was only nine years old but I loved her more than any woman I've ever met. She was my guide, my moral compass.

Jace's and her scheduled were not as hectic as mine. With my father favoring Isabelle above Jace and I unlike my mother who favored Jace and I, she only had to worry about cheerleading and keep her grade above a B.

Jace never worried about anything. My parents would love him the same with an F or an A. It didn't stop him from bringing home A's as I did. Only I worked harder for my grade. Jace was smart but at times he got away with slacking through his charms and his sex appeal. With us being in college some teachers wouldn't mind a little persuasion. And if Jace deemed them hot enough, he'd grant them their wish of getting with one of the Lockwood boys.

I'd get advances as Jace did but I would never go there. I followed the rules. And sleeping with a teacher for good grades, no matter how hot, was against the rules.