rule v/avoid complications

Alec Lightwood
didn't like people who caused problems.

"You see, the thing is, I don't see why I'm suppose to care," I didn't settle down at the judging looks Jace was shooting at me. I had just left football practice, I was tired, and this was not helping.

"Alec-" he just about begged.

"Don't fucking Alec me. You come into my doom room after I've just suffered through a four hour practice on a fucking Tuesday. There better be a reason good enough for it. And so far, I haven't heard one."

"She needs our help," Jace insisted trying to holding on to my shoulder.

"Why can't she go to the police with this?"

"You and both know why we can't do that."

I huffed and looked away from Jace. "I'm not in law enforcement-"

"Bullshit Jace, if this was Izzy-"

"Izzy is my sister Jace, but your new girlfriend over there," I pointed at Clary who was standing awkwardly by my threshold. "I don't even like her."

"Alec you don't get it, you don't get what it's like to not have a mother. You don't. Now my mom is dead, but Clary's is still alive and the only way for us keep her Mom alive, is with our help. And if there even a lick of chance that we can do something to help, like her or not, is it worth her mothers life?"

Alec turned to Izzy who was standing next to him with pleading eyes.

"Why does The Circle have your mother?" I wondered, from what I established she was a simple mundane, a boring poor girl.

"I don't know."

I raised my hand up in annoyance, "how the fuck am I suppose to help when we've got nothing?" I readied myself to dismiss her as to make her panic.

"O-Okay, wait. When they took her one of the guys there was asking about something called the Mortal Cup."

My head snapped to Jace and he nodded at me, "do you have it?"

"No! For Christ sakes, I don't even know what it is." Her voice was like nails on a chalk board.

"The Mortal Cup...is not a cup at all," Izzy explained. "Years ago, my family and a couple of other richie families came together and made three intense scientific discoveries. The cup, the sword, and the mirror. The cup was for military defense. That thing could take out any number of people. All you had to do was put in genetic codes. This could cure diseases and things like that. But then one of the families stole the cup and were found later putting in the gene types for people of dark skin. People with melanin,"

"Had the people in charge of these type of things, the Clave, not been on their game, it would have been terrifying genocide! Millions of people; dead by the hand on one stupid 'cup'. I'm not even sure how it works, all I know is that in the wrong hands, that thing is dangerous to all," Jace continued.

"A few years back when I was maybe about two, this man named Valentine formed a group of followers that left the Clave, those who protested the cup, and started a rebellion. They felt that the Clave weren't responsible enough to care for the cup. And they felt that the cup could be saving lives instead of being cooped up in some safe. There was a 'war' and a lot of the detail are misunderstood but everyone thought the cup was gone. Destroyed. So what I want to know is now a girl who claims to know nothing just happens to be on the target list of the the same people who stole it from my family and the Clave in the first place."