The Bet

The Bet

Mark coincidentally met Jen in the little park they had in their subdivision as he was doing his morning routine, jogging. He found her sitting on the bench while watching some children playing football.

“Morning.” He greeted her and sat beside her. Jen was obviously surprised.

“M-Mark? Morning too.” She replied and smiled at him.

“Is your foot okay?” he asked while looking at her right foot.

“Uhm, yeah. Thanks again for helping me yesterday. J” Jen replied gratefully.

Mark stared at her while smiling. She’s so busy watching the children playing. He smiled and stared at them too.

“When I was young I tried to play football but ended up being hurt so I decided to never play again that kind of game.” He started the convo. Jen looked at him wondering.

“Oh?” –Jen

Mark looked at her for a while and nodded. Jen couldn’t look at him directly so she looked back again at the children.

“It’s natural to get hurt when playing.” Jen replied.

“I agree. I guess I was coward that time.” Laughed Mark, Jen looked at him. She loves to stare at his handsome face.

“Do you still like to play it Marky?” she asked him. Mark looked at her and smiled.

“I don’t know.” He shrugged. Jen returned her attention to the children.

“I guess the boy with the green shoes will goal.” She said while watching the children playing. Mark smiled.

“Nope, I think the boy wearing red pants will make it.” Mark contradicted. Jen looked at him.

“Wanna bet?” she said with daring eyes. Mark agreed.

“Sure.”

“If I win, you’ll treat me a cup of coffee every morning for one week.” She bravely said to him. Mark laughed.

“Whoa. Sure.” He laughed.

“How about you? What if you won?” Jen asked. Mark thought for a moment, then...

“I’ll tell you later if I won.” He said.

“But –“ Jen tried to protest but Mark gave her that heart-melting smile so she forgot what she would suppose to say.

Later, Mark’s bet won.

“Oh,’ Jen pouted ‘you’re right Marky, he won.”

Mark looked at her and smiled.

“I told you so,’ he smiled ‘don’t worry, I’ll still treat you a cup of coffee every morning.” He said and winked at her. Jen almost dropped her heart. Hahaha XD. She blushed so hard upon what he said.

“N-No Marky, a talk is a talk,’ she replied shyly ‘what is my consequence now?”  She asked. Mark stared at her for a long time. Jen, upon noticing it, looked away.

“M-Mark...”

Mark, as if came back to his senses, stoop up.

“I’m sorry. It’s just a bet, don’t worry.’ he smiled ‘I guess I’d better go now.” he bade goodbye and went home. Jen was left alone again.

“Mark, why do you have to show up from nowhere and disturb my innocent heart?” She said and gave out a heavy sigh. She wanted to laugh at herself for acting that corny hopeless romantic. XD