SEVEN

CHAPTER 7
THE COLD ONE

"IT'S just a story," Jacob Black had said

Margo hadn't been able to get her conversation with Jacob off her mind. The next few days after La Push were a blur, involving Margo either studying for her big English exam or thinking about the "scary story" Jacob had told her. She was losing sleep. Her brain, Courtney, wasn't allowing her to. She had to figure out the problem surrounding her little town. If she didn't, Margo was sure she was going to go insane. Not knowing the answer to something was her biggest pet peeve, and Margo had to know everything. The legend Jacob had told her didn't seem like such a "stupid, scary story," and if it was, then why did his ancestors hold it in such high regard? Margo was determined to find out the meaning behind it.

She held her steering wheel firmly as she drove to her house. The sun had just set, and she was only now leaving school. She agreed to help out the Drama club with decorating the theater for their big production of Beauty and the Beast. She helped string up lights and fake candles around the theater, and tape paper roses to the walls.

Margo ran a hand over her face, but when she looked up at the road again, she noticed flashing lights at the Forks Police Department. Usually, that would never alarm her, seeing as the cruisers were at the police department. But as Margo stepped on her brakes just a bit, she spotted her aunt's truck parked beside the flashing cruisers. "What?" Margo's eyes went wide, and she immediately turned into the parking lot of the police department.

A million thoughts ran through Margo's head. She thought the worst, of course, even though it physically pained her to think about it. She hoped to god that her aunt was alright. She didn't know what she was do without her. If she was gone – oh, shit, Margo wasn't going to think about that as she jumped out of her van. It was hard not to think these thoughts though, especially with the odd circumstances that had been surrounding Forks as of late.

Margo approached the small, dimly lit building quickly. As she sprinted inside the entrance, she glanced over her shoulder to see – weirdly enough – Edward Cullen's car pull up. Margo swallowed hard as she ran to the secretary desk, asking, "Um – hi, is Jenny Fowler here?"

The secretary held a phone to her ear as she pointed to Margo's left, and when she turned around, she spotted her aunt walking down the department's hallway of offices with Doctor Cullen by her side. Jenny fast-walked towards her niece, almost caught off guard when Margo wrapped her arms around her. "Shit, Jenny," Margo muttered. "I saw your car here and I – well, I just suspected the worst."

Jenny leaned back, smiling softly towards the niece. She squished her cheeks together and ordered, "Hey, no swearing." This caused a quiet laughter to emerge from both their mouths. "Why are you driving during the night?"

"I was getting back from school late. I helped out the Drama club." Margo glanced towards Jenny's coworker next to her, Doctor Carlisle Cullen. "Nice to see you, Doctor Cullen."