THIRTY SEVEN

CHAPTER 37
THE ARMY

THE dinner at Pacific Pizza was better than Margo had asked for

THE dinner at Pacific Pizza was better than Margo had asked for. With a large, hot cheese pizza sitting in front of her, she had been completely happy. She didn't need a fancy party or dozens of people to celebrate her graduation with. All she needed was her Melinda, her family, Jenny, and Jacob. No more, no less. Jacob was especially grateful that he didn't have to go to another one of Jenny's ravers, but little did they all know how thrilling the Cullens' party would go.

Margo had the tough decision of whether to dress nice to the party or go simply casual. She wasn't much of a dressy girl, so she decided on a black V-neck, jeans, and her favorite pair of sneakers. She at least made more of an effort with her hair, throwing it up in a nice updo that allowed small ringlets to hang off the sides of her face.

She checked her watch quickly, doing a double-take when she noticed the time. Realizing that she only had fifteen minutes until the party started, Margo rubbed on a small bit of lip gloss before rushing down the stairs. How could she forget that it started at eight?! She still had to pick up Jacob. Margo hit her forehead in anger.

Jenny turned from her seat on the couch. The news played softly in the background, but all Margo could hear was the loud humming of the air conditioner her aunt installed that day. Jenny sent her niece a look of annoyance at running down the stairs again, but her eyes softened when she remembered that after this summer, she wouldn't hear it anymore. She might actually miss Margo running down the stairs at the speed of light, startling her out of a trance.

"Are you late for something?" Jenny asked, quirking an eyebrow.

Margo sent her an anxious look. "Too late. I have to get to the Cullens' place for their party. Don't wait up for me."

Jenny's lips widened to a smirk. "Tell Carlisle I say, hi, okay?"

"He has a wife, you know." Margo reminded as she grabbed her keys.

Jenny scoffed. "There isn't anything wrong with a little –"

"Yeah, yeah. Gotta go!" Margo waved her hands quickly before rushing out the door. The humidity outside almost smacked her in the face, and Margo was close to slipping on the stairs from the afternoon rain shower they had. She sprinted to her van and shoved the key in the ignition. Once the car turned on, her ears were blasted with the latest Amy Winehouse album. Margo forgot she had been listening to that at top volume the last time she drove.

Despite being excessively late, Margo tried her best not to speed down to Jacob's house. Her van wasn't good on wet roads, and one wrong turn wouldn't turn out well. She arrived at the familiar red house in ten minutes, noticing that it was already eight. Margo grumbled to herself as she hit the horn a few times. She hated being late to things. It got on her every nerve.