TWENTY SEVEN

CHAPTER 27
USUAL PROTOCOL

ALICE took a moment to compose herself

ALICE took a moment to compose herself. Margo looked around the room, waiting for an answer with her arms out. Jacob sulked beside her, while Bella began to bite at her fingernails. She probably wasn't even conscious of the situation. "Well?" Margo demanded. "Anyone going to explain what a Volturi is or am I gonna have go to my handy-dandy database and –"

"The Volturi are ..." Alice bit her lip, contemplating her answer. "Well, they're the most powerful vampire coven among us. They enforce the laws of our world, and they're basically the equivalent of royalty. They keep the secret society of vampires hidden from the human world, as it is one of our laws."

Margo's eyes went wide as her lips puckered in confusion. "Vampires have laws?" She shook her head. "I guess that's something my database wouldn't have told me."

Alice rolled her eyes, plucking her silver phone from her white pocket. "I have to call Carlisle now," she said before leaving to wait by the hall.

Bella continued to chew at her nails, causing Margo to turn to her friend. She put out a hand towards the brunette. "You gonna be okay?"

Bella finally looked up, blinking her eyes rapidly at Margo. She must've not been aware of anything for the past couple of minutes. Her eyes looked red. "Oh, you know," she muttered, "just finding out that your ex-boyfriend might kill himself because he thinks I'm dead. Usual protocol."

Before Margo could comment, they heard Alice shouting from the hall: "Rose? No, I don't need to talk to you! Where's Carlisle?" She asked, acid spilling from her tone. "Fine, as soon as he's back, tell him to call me ... No, I'll be on a plane. Look, have you heard anything from Edward?"

Margo tilted her head outward, finding Alice by the front door, sinking her back into the corner. The vampire's mouth formed in a O shape. Her phone was shaking in her small hands. "I can't believe you, Rose! Why did you think that was a good idea?!" Alice allowed her sister on the other end a moment to speak, but she continued to yell, "Well, you're wrong on both counts though, Rosalie, so that would be a problem! Don't you think so?!" The vampire scoffed loudly. "Yes, that's right. Bella is absolutely fine – I was wrong ... It's a long story ... But you're wrong about that part too, that's why I'm calling, because I need Carlisle's help ... It's a bit late for that, Rose. Save your fake remorse for someone who believes it."

Alice snapped the phone shut with a solid huff. She walked back into the kitchen, chewing her bottom lip.

"So Rosalie did tell him I killed myself?" Bella asked in a low voice.

Alice nodded. "They rely on my sight far too much for something that works so imperfectly, but still ... didn't she realize ... or care ...?"

Margo gripped Jacob's arm tightly, almost curling into his warmth. "You really think he'd kill himself?"