TWENTY FIVE

CHAPTER 25
WET DOG SMELL

CHAPTER 25WET DOG SMELL

MARGO dangled her feet over the edge of her mattress, wiggling her toes in the sunlight that reflected from her bedroom window. Her backpack laid untouched by the door, since she put it there as soon as she returned home from school. She, of course, had homework to do, but Margo was in such a joyful mood over the A+ she received on her difficult U.S. history essay. She propped her cellphone by her ear, calling Jacob to see what he was doing. She felt the need to share her good news, even though she knew her passing grade would never be a shock to anyone. The essay had been very challenging, after all, and history definitely wasn't her strongest suit.

When the phone stopped ringing, Jacob picked up with a stutter, "Um – uh – hi? Hello?"

Margo furrowed her brow. "Hey, Jake," she grinned, sitting up quickly. "I have awesome news to tell you! Remember that really hard essay I'd been –"

"I don't know if I have time to talk now, Mar. I – um ..." Jacob paused, and Margo heard him mumbling to someone outside of the speaker. She picked up on the name, Charlie. Jacob's voice then returned, "Yeah, right now really isn't a good time ... Oh, thanks, Charlie."

"Charlie?" Margo questioned. "As in Chief Swan? Bella's dad?"

Jacob sighed, hesitating for a moment. "Give me a minute."

"Is Charlie okay? Is he upset about Harry?"

Margo's questions remained unanswered for a very long minute. She chewed her bottom lip in anticipation. Eventually, Margo heard a door slam closed, and then footsteps echoed in rain puddles. "It wasn't about Harry, but I think Charlie is holding up okay." He finally replied, leaving Margo to exhale with relief. "It's Bella."

"What's wrong with Bella?"

Jacob paused. "She tried jumping off a cliff."

Margo's eyes went wide. "WHAT?!" The grip on her phone was now tight.

"I saw her jump by First Beach, and once she hit the water, I dove in and swam towards her. I got her just as a huge swell came in." Jacob's voice was shaking. "I ... don't even want to think what could've happened if I wasn't there."

"Is she out of her mind?!" Margo exclaimed irrationally. "Or is she on some suicidal acid trip?!"

Jacob tsked. "I really don't think it's about that, Margo. I think she's doing it to, like, get an adrenaline rush –"

"No, god – she's officially gone psycho." Margo shook her head, already pulling on her sneakers. "I'm going to go see her."

"That's not a good idea, Mar –"