THIRTY FIVE

CHAPTER 35
FOREVER

CHAPTER 35FOREVER

SINCE she attended the council meeting at La Push days ago, Margo has been consumed by thoughts of Seattle. A tick in her brain told her that something just wasn't right, but she did nothing to solve the matter otherwise. Margo wanted to quit her meddling, simply because she was not a real detective and the murder cases in Seattle couldn't be solved by a seventeen-year-old. Besides, she had other things to worry about.

She just wished she could stop worrying so much.

"How's the speech coming along?"

Margo looked up at her aunt from her spot at the dinner table. Jenny had made a large pot roast that night, served with baked potatoes and corn. Margo made sure to scarf down as much as she could, since she felt like she had been neglecting her dinner with Jenny lately. She hoped her aunt wasn't angry about it, but if she was, Margo knew she'd say something.

"I think its finally done," Margo replied with a smile. "Just gotta proof-read it, but for the most part, its done."

Jenny clapped dramatically, causing her niece to giggle. "Good, took ya' long enough, kid. Graduation is about a week away."

Margo wiped the edge of her mouth with a napkin, biting her lip down as she thought of a way to approach the topic on her mind. She hesitated before asking, "So ... have you heard any updates on the Seattle case? Have you talked to the police when they're at the hospital for their thoughts?"

Jenny shook her head. "No updates." After chewing on a thick piece of pork, she continued, "I talked to Doctor Cullen about it, though. He thinks its vicious gangs, or a large group of serial killers." Jenny's eyes then slid to her niece's. She whispered, "Do you think its vampires?"

The word, yes, graced the tip of her tongue, and Margo opened her mouth to say it. But she really didn't know that for sure, and she was certainly no expect. Margo shrugged and replied, "I'm really not sure."

After dinner, Margo helped Jenny with the dishes. Her aunt usually cleaned them each night because she refused to use the dish washer. (She thought it was the easy way out.) Margo finally convinced her to use the appliance tonight, while listening to Jenny rant, "Back in my childhood, we had to wash dishes by hand because they were cleaner that way!" Margo simply ignored her as she got the plates washed quicker and easier.

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, Margo trudged up the stairs after dinner. She was ready to pass out early tonight, and she knew she wouldn't feel guilty about it, due to getting all her work done for tomorrow. Margo opened the door to her bedroom, already making a plan to head for her drawer to grab some PJs, but she stopped dead in her tracks when she saw another person already in the room.

Margo didn't know how long Jacob had been standing in her room, but it must've been a while. She hadn't seen him all day, because she drove herself to school that morning. He was currently sorting through the books in her tall case positioned against a wall. He flipped through a few pages in her vintage copy of Macbeth before tossing it back inside the bookcase. Margo blinked and shut the door quickly, startling him completely.