TWENTY SIX

CHAPTER 26
A HARMLESS CULLEN

CHAPTER 26A HARMLESS CULLEN

ALICE stood, cocking a brow upward as the smell of dog invaded her nostrils. Margo watched the vampire's face twist in disgust. Bella leaned forward in her seat, staring at Jacob with a mixture of shock and awkwardness. Margo looked to her boyfriend as well, who met her eyes quickly when she asked, "What are you doing here?"

"You didn't answer my texts or call," he replied, almost out of breath. Margo stood and eyed him, crossing her arms over her chest. "My tribe's treaty says that I can't protect you on these grounds, but I guess I don't care." Jacob sighed, which caused Margo's eyes to soften. "I had to see you were safe, Mar."

Margo exhaled softly. It was wrong of her to ignore Jacob's call, especially because she hadn't fully realized how deep she was within his life now. Emily told her that them being apart could cause Jacob to have physical pain, and she was also meant to be a part of his inner soul. She had been ignorant. If anything were to happen to her without his protection, god – she was sure this imprinting would make him go insane. If he was upset after only scarring a small part of her chin, she didn't want to think what would happen when she died.

Pushing her thoughts away, Margo walked forward and placed her hand inside of her boyfriend's. She squeezed his fingers tightly, and just her touch alone set every worry he had at ease. Margo knew she had to be more conscientious of her relationship with Jacob, because she certainly never prepared to be an imprint. Jacob smiled quickly towards her, but it faded away once Alice began to speak.

"Well, I'm not gonna hurt her or Bella," she argued.

Jacob's eyes formed into slits when he turned to Alice, standing in the middle of the living room. "No, you're just a harmless Cullen," he spat. "I'm talking about the other bloodsucker, who tried to kill Bella because of you."

Margo frowned, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear.

Alice furrowed her brow and turned to Bella. "Victoria?"

"Yeah, Victoria's been around," Bella replied nonchalantly. Her tone confused Margo.

"I didn't see her. I didn't see you get pulled out of the water either," Alice said with a muddled expression. She stared at the ground for a few moments, contemplating why she had never seen any visions of Victoria around Forks. She shook her head, looking up at Jacob with narrowed eyes. "I can't see anything past you and your pack of mutts!"

Margo's eyes went wide. "Whoa there –"

"Don't get me upset, Cullen," Jacob threatened, moving closer to Alice. Margo shoved her way in between them, holding Jacob back by her arm, but even she couldn't stop him. "Things are gonna get very ugly –"