EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER 18
FACE PUNCH

JENNY had been bouncing on the back of her heels for several minutes

JENNY had been bouncing on the back of her heels for several minutes. She waited by the door, looking out the window with the blinds pulled up. The pizza she ordered was supposed to have arrived five minutes ago, and Jenny was just so impatient that she had to wait by the door, sniffing around in an annoying fashion like an animal.

Margo had been watching her aunt with an annoyed stare before settling back into the couch. Jacob sat to her left, trying to keep his eyes focused on the TV while Margo was talking about the stupid busywork she had to do that day for the school's secretary, Mrs. Dooley. Jenny invited Jacob over for pizza that Thursday night, but it seemed that all she was paying attention to was the minutes ticking away until their food arrived.

All of the sudden, Jacob muted the volume on the television. Margo turned to her boyfriend and lifted a brow. "Can I ask you something?" He asked, facing her on the dark blue couch.

"Yeah, what's up?" Margo placed her elbow on the edge of the couch, leaning her forehead on her fist.

"Do you know much about Bella's ex?"

Margo's brow shot up again. She didn't feel like sitting so casually anymore, so she opted to sitting up straight. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words fell out. Knowing that he struck a nerve, Jacob clarified, "You know, that Cullen guy –"

"No, I know who you're talking about." She interrupted, putting out her hands to stop him. Margo paused. "Um – well, he was a weirdo."

A smile tugged at the edges of Jacob's lips. "I'm pretty sure someone could say the same about you."

"Watch it," she replied with a pointed finger. Margo then sighed, thinking over what she could exactly tell her boyfriend. Definitely not anything about her stupid mystery last year. That embarrassment would stay with her to the grave. "I mean, I know as much as you know. You said he was part of the cold ones and that scary story. He and his family disappeared at the beginning of senior year. None of us know why. I don't even think Bella does."

Jacob frowned, rubbing a hand over his mouth. Margo wanted to ask if something happened, or if Bella was okay, but Jacob was already answering her questions. "She froze today when I asked about him. I guess I can understand now." He looked at Margo, noticing her face twisting as to why they were together when Bella was supposed to be in class. "I think she left school early today so we could test-ride the bikes. Didn't go so well."

"What?!" Margo huffed angrily. "She left before our chemistry class to ride a bike?"

"Even worse than that," Jacob continued. "She got hurt. Busted her head open when she fell off one of the bikes. It happened so suddenly that I couldn't stop it. We took her to see your aunt at the hospital."