NINE

CHAPTER 9
HARD EGG TO CRACK

MELINDA Cox was nothing more than ecstatic to hear that her best friend was hanging around with a certain Quileute boy

MELINDA Cox was nothing more than ecstatic to hear that her best friend was hanging around with a certain Quileute boy. Margo had been seeing Jacob at least two days a week, disregarding her random high school activities to binge-watch the entirety of the Twilight Zone with him. He even showed her La Push's infamous tide pools – finally. Melinda had jumped on the balls of her feet when she found out, disturbing the comfortable silence of Forks high school's crowd as she did so. "I can't believe this!" She screamed. "I'm so happy for you!"

Margo had put her hands on her friend's shoulders. "We're just friends."

"Oh, silly Margo," Melinda cooed. "That's what they all say."

Currently, Margo was trying to forget all that Melinda had said. She was happy being friends with Jacob Black, and hanging around with him as only friends. She was excited for the possible friendship they would have together. They could binge-watch one of his favorite shows on DVD next. Even Bella Swan said that Jacob was talking loads about her the last time he visited Swan's residence. Margo was content in them being just that – friends – nor did she think that would ever change. Well, unless he wanted for it to change. Maybe then she'd consider. Maybe –

No, wait. Just friends. That's it.

As the crowds in the hallways of Forks high dispersed to go to class, Margo walked towards a certain locker in particular. Running a hand through his dark bronze hair, Edward Cullen shoved his backpack in his locker for safe keeping. He sensed the smart girl from a mile away though, and he found his golden eyes meeting hers as she neared him. Her brow perked up when their stares connected, and she greeted, "Expecting me?"

"Wish I wasn't," Edward muttered as she approached him. "What do you want, Margo?"

What a jackass, she thought to herself, which Edward did hear. He felt like chuckling at it.

Margo leaned against the locker to his right, throwing him a bright smile. "So, I was briefed by your sister that you're a very ... private and shy person. Well, clearly not too private, as of lately."

Edward was about to utter Alice's name in an annoyed tone, until he recognized what Margo was insinuating. Privacy, he was told once, is a virtue. And by the way he was seen holding Bella Swan's hand this morning going into school, privacy wasn't his strongest suit. He already knew he'd be hearing the complaints tonight from his family, but what he didn't expect was for Margo Richards to bring up the matter. Well, who was he kidding? He could hear everyone in the school thinking about the spectacle from this morning. Margo was just the first to say it to his face, and for that, he only mildly respected her bluntness.

But in this moment, Edward was going to act like how Margo probably viewed everyone: a dumbass. (Not that he could blame her. There were a lot of them in their school.) "You caught that, huh?" He asked, pulling a trigonometry textbook from his locker.