THIRTY SIX

CHAPTER 36
SMART COOKIE

CHAPTER 36SMART COOKIE

GETTING ready on the morning of her graduation ceremony felt like the pits of hell had opened up. Both Margo and Jenny were running around the house, trying to find each piece to their outfits. Margo almost swore she lost her cap and gown for a minute, only to find them in the basement, hanging up beside her clean clothes.

Margo knew that barely anyone would see what she wore under her white gown, so she decided to wear her old dress from junior prom. She was surprised she still liked it, seeing as Margo had never been too keen on dresses. She didn't like how they showed off her knobby knees, but this dress was different. It was a dark red, which complimented her pale skin.

Jenny pounded her fist against Margo's door. Her niece had been in the midst of putting on lipstick, and upon hearing her aunt, the sound made her hand jump. She accidentally smudged lipstick on her face. "Dammit!" Margo exclaimed, wiping off the sides of her cheeks and beginning to line her lips again.

"Margaret Richards!" Jenny called. "We have to go! Graduation starts in an hour!"

"Well, I don't want to look like a hag in front of everybody!" Margo yelled back. "So let me put on this lipstick!"

Jenny barged through the door as Margo finished her makeup. She stopped short, taking in the sight of her niece as she stood up straight. Jenny smiled warmly, and she tried to shy away from the tears welling up in her eyes. Margo was so grown up now. It was finally hitting Jenny: her niece wasn't the same kid she brought home to Forks when she was fourteen.

"How do I look?" Margo beamed, tipping her white cap down. The gold tassel hung loosely at the top.

Jenny didn't answer. She could only run forward and hug her niece tighter than ever before. Jenny was pretty sure she was crying away most of her mascara, but in that moment, she didn't care one bit. Once she gathered herself again, Jenny leaned away, pulling up the top to her strapless blue dress.

"I'm so proud of you," Jenny whispered, holding her niece's shoulders.

Margo smiled and wiped away her aunt's tears. "Stop blubbering, you big lug." She laughed softly as Jenny did. "We don't want this mascara to go to waste."

"Yes, yes. You're right. Totally right." Jenny held Margo's face for a moment. "You're going to do great, sweets."

"I hope so," Margo replied, grabbing her note cards containing her speech. She shoved the cards into her robe's pockets. "But if you don't let me finish my lipstick, I won't be graduating any time soon."

•••

Margo tried her best to keep her cap on her head as she stood outside the gymnasium. Jenny had already taken her seat inside, amongst the other family members. Graduation started in ten minutes, but Margo waited outside, holding her arms around herself as she waited for her boyfriend. She didn't see the Rabbit in sight, or even his bike. She had given him a ticket to graduation a week ago. Margo really hoped he didn't forget.