SEVEN | HOTLINE

SEVEN | HOTLINE

"DOES ANYONE KNOW YOU'RE HERE?" The teen furrowed her brows at that, stepping into the house. "I told you no one would know." Evelina sassed Roman, to which he said nothing back to. He closed the door behind her and lead them to the large dining room, where they both sat down next to each other at the table. It was the day after the Marino's big party, and the pair met at the time they agreed on. 

"Do you want anything to drink?" He tried to be polite. 

"Hm, yes, a martini sounds very nice, thank you." Evelina smiled as she leaned back in her seat and propped her long toned legs up on the table, her heels making a thud against the wood. 

Roman shot her a glare, "Not what I meant, and get your legs off of the table." He sighed, not in the mood to mess around. 

The young girl frowned, "What's wrong with my legs? You don't like them?" She was teasing him. 

Roman groaned, "No-nothing, just please get them off the table." He was begging her, the Italian just wanted to get down to business. 

"How about no?" The angsty teen bit back. 

"Okay, whatever, I'm not in the mood for this bullshit." He cursed out, giving up. "Let's just move on, yeah?" Roman looked over at Evelina and took her silence as a yes. 

Calming down some, Roman began to explain everything to the teen who actually, sat there quietly and listened to him. "So, I have a knowing feeling that my wife, Eleanor, is cheating on me. I don't know who with or why she even would, but we've been distant lately because of this and the lies she's been telling me. Your job is to help me figure all of this out." He explained.

Evelina quirked a brow and scoffed, "That's a lot of pressure for one person." 

"Well it's either that or I'll have to tell your parents about what their innocent daughter has been up to lately, your choice." He retorted with a casual shrug. 

"Fine," She rolled her eyes. "Continue." 

Roman gave her a tight smile, "The night that I called the phone sex hotline, I found that number on my wife's phone in her recently called list. She had called it a few times before then, I had no clue it would lead me to what it did. But I had suspected her cheating even before that, she'd come home late and lie straight to my face about her whereabouts and she'd go on business trips that seemed too long to be just for business." He spoke with slight sorrow. "The reason I want your help specifically with this is that I figured you might be able to help me figure out some things I wouldn't be able to myself." He looked at Evelina, who was looking at him with a blank expression on her face. 

"I can definitely help you with the hotline part of it." She said, swinging her legs off of the table and back on the ground. The teen's entire mood had changed from uninterested to wanting to actually help. "The way it works is you call the hotline's international number, and based on your area code, it'll connect you to someone with the same one. So you can either decide to keep it on the phone or move it to real life. It's most likely Mrs. Vitali called the line and met with someone around here." She said casually, but that only made Roman feel worse and lose all hope of her being faithful. 

"We can probably figure out who she's talking to on it if you're interested?" Evelina offered, oblivious to Roman's feelings. 

"I honestly don't think I'm ready for that next step," Roman said truthfully. He wasn't ready mentally to know who his wife was cheating on him with, and he didn't want to believe it. 

Seeing that he was upset, Evelina didn't say anything else about it. "I'm here for you when you're ready," She smiled at him and placed a comforting hand on his thick thigh. 

He looked up from her manicured hand and into her green eyes, she was actually trying to comfort him, which he didn't expect. 

"Thanks, I appreciate it." Roman placed a hand on hers for a moment before realizing what was going on. Shaking out of it, he pulled his hand away and moved his leg away from her warm touch. 

"I guess you should be going now, huh?" He got up from his seat, suddenly feeling the need to be alone. 

"If you want I could stay, I mean, if you didn't want to be alone." She smiled up at him. 

It was tempting to let her stay with the way she was looking up at him and being sweet to him, but he knew it wasn't right. 

"No, I have some work to do still and Eleanor will be home soon." I think, he wanted to add at the end but decided against it. Roman gave the adolescent a fake smile, trying to cover up how he actually felt. 

Evelina shrugged her bony shoulders and stood up next to him, "Okay, just let me know when you're ready." She let her hand rub against his arm gently. 

Her attitude had changed, she was being gentle with him now. Roman wasn't sure if it was because she had taken pity on him or not. 

"I will." Was all he said, as he turned to walk her out of his house. 

He said a quick goodbye and closed the door behind her. Knowing he was all alone, he let his true feelings wash over him. Roman's heart was slowly breaking as more of the truth came to surface. 

He just hoped that everything would turn out okay in the end, that wasn't too much to ask for, was it?