FIFTEEN | CONFESSIONS

IT WAS A STRANGE SIGHT TO SEE SUCH A POWERFUL WOMAN BECOME SO... WEAK. It only took a few minutes for her confident exterior to melt away. In the eight years, the two of them had been married, it was rare for him to see Eleanor so vulnerable. She was typically the type of woman who knew exactly what was going on and knew exactly what she wanted, she liked to be in charge and aware of everything. Now, standing in front of him, was a woman who had no idea what was about to happen and was looking desperate for some sort of control over the situation. 

"What?" Was all that Eleanor said as she let out a deep exhale. 

Roman leaned back in the desk chair he sat at, looking up at the woman standing in front of him. He wasn't in the mood for her to beat around the bush and try to make things feel like it was all his fault, like usual. "Eleanor," He started but was cut off by her. "No! Roman, you need to answer me! Whose necklace is it?" She demanded, he could tell she was trying to hold back the wave of emotions that were threatening to wash over her. 

A sense of tiredness suddenly came over Roman, with a sigh he leaned up forward in his seat. He was over it. "I know about you and Clark Campbell!" It came out rushed and with frustration. There, he had said it. However, a feeling of relief washed over him, replacing the tiredness he felt moments ago. It felt good getting it off his chest. With an exasperated sigh, he relaxed back into the seat. 

"I," The tears started to well in his wife's eyes, she was at a loss for words. Eleanor kept trying to speak, but everything came out in a stutter. Finally, the tears began to roll out of her glazed over blue eyes. "Roman, I didn't," She tried to defend herself. "I would never..."

"Eleanor, please don't. I know what happened and I have for a while, too. I just want the complete truth at this point." He finally stood up and came out from behind his desk, where he stood in front of her. It hurt him to make her cry, but she had hurt him worse. She caused him true pain and heartache. 

"But, I didn't," She began to sob, completely breaking down. "Roman, it's not like how you think it is!" He didn't want it to be like how he knew it was. Roman was having to hold back his true emotions, too, he had to stay calm if he wanted to know the full story of it all. 

"Eleanor, I don't want to see you upset," Roman admitted with a sigh, still maintaining a little distance between the two of them. "I just want to know the truth. Please, just give me that at least." 

"I love you, Roman. I really do." She dropped the necklace, Roman didn't even realize she was still holding and went to hug him. He sighed, knowing it wouldn't be easy to get answers from a stubborn woman like her. "It-it was a mistake!" 

"Okay, hey, please calm down." He knew he couldn't yell at her like how he wanted to, he had to be gentle or else she wouldn't cooperate with him at all. Roman knew he'd have to ease her slowly and gently into telling him everything. "Listen, I'm not mad," It pained him to lie and say that to her, he was just going to do whatever he had to do at this point. Even if it meant faking being okay when truly he was feeling the exact opposite. 

"What? You're not?" She looked up from his chest where her head was laying. His expensive work shirt was stained with her tears. 

"No, Eleanor," He reluctantly rubbed her back soothingly to comfort her. "Just talk to me right now." He looked down at her, his eyes full of emotion and hers gleaming from the tears. After what felt like minutes, she finally let out a deep breath and nodded. Roman wanted to let out a big smile because his plan had worked, but he held himself back. 

"Can we sit down somewhere?" She sniffled, looking up at him with pleading eyes. "Sure, whatever makes you feel more comfortable." He replied with a small warming smile.