ELEVEN | SURPRISED

ELEVEN | SURPRISED

THE SHOCK HADN'T SETTLED IN YET, IN FACT, IT WAS JUST BEGINNING. "Hello?" The person on the phone spoke again, bringing Evelina back to reality. 

"Clark," She breathed out, letting go of Roman's hand that she was firmly holding. Evelina and Roman looked at each other, both with the same confused expression on their face.

"What? Is that you Evelina?" You could practically hear him smirking over the phone.

The adolescent scoffed, "You have got to be fucking kidding me." She couldn't believe it, and neither could Roman.

"Was there a reason you called?" Clark had no idea. "Did you call because you missed me?" He continued to flirt with her.

"Oh, fuck off." Evelina glared and hung up on the immature boy.

Roman was sitting in silence, while Evelina was just dumbfounded by the whole thing. "It can't be Clark," She said in denial. "Could it?" The teen looked over at the Italian man who sat there with a blank look on his face. He was emotionless, his dark brown eyes were glued to the floor because he could not look anywhere but there.

"You okay?" Evelina asked, trying not to say the wrong thing. No response. "Okay," Was all she said after minutes of silence. She bit her lip and swung her crossed legs gently back and forth, this was a sticky situation. 

The two continued to sit there in silence for what seemed like forever until Roman finally managed to say something. "It has to be him. It's Clark." He sounded drained, it was as if he was trying his hardest to hold everything in. Roman was trying to bottle up everything he was feeling at that very moment. 

"Yes, but are you okay?" Evelina was actually worried about him and without hesitation, she placed her hand on his back and rubbed him in a soothing way.

"Yeah," His Italian accent was thick as he spoke. 

"I'm sorry, Roman. I know how it must feel." The adolescent tried to empathize with the grown man. 

"No, you don't know how it feels." He snapped, catching Evelina off guard. "You're just a child, you have no idea how it feels to give your entire heart to someone and to have them just rip it to shreds." Roman was fuming and didn't want the pity from a teen. 

She pulled her hand away from him and frowned, "I-"

"No," He interrupted her abruptly, causing her to flinch. "Just leave me alone." Roman's words cut her deep. She didn't say anything back, she sat still on the bed as the angry man made long strides towards the door and left. 

Evelina sat there frozen in her spot, even after he had been gone for about ten minutes, she still didn't dare move. 

♥︎

Roman greedily downed the glass of the amber liquid that was placed in front of him just moments before. "Another, please?" He raised his glass at the bartender. 

"Dude, that was like your fourth drink. Take it easy." The bartender replied as he served another guest at the hotel bar. 

That seemed to anger Roman, even more, he slammed a fist down on the counter, causing several people around him to stop and stare. They all looked scared. "Just give me a drink!" He demanded and reached into his wallet to drop a fifty on the counter. 

"Okay, okay, man." The bartender put his hands up in defense, quickly making his way over to Roman to grab his empty glass and fill it back up. 

That drink was also downed in under five minutes, the bartender gave him a dirty look once he noticed the Italian had an empty glass yet again. "Fuck this," Roman said, trying to get up from his seat at the bar. That's when all the alcohol hit him. 

He felt a pounding headache rush to his head, he felt dizzy and unbalanced. Roman stumbled away from the bar to the lobby of the hotel, everyone from the bar watched him intently all with the same thought. 

It was as clear as day that Roman wasn't in the right-state-of-mind at the moment, he was a wreck in fact. He couldn't remember the last time he was this wasted, probably back during his college days?  

Somehow, the Italian had managed to make it all the way to the lobby and out the front door without falling over more than twice. The sun instantly blinded him when he stepped out of the hotel, making him hiss and squint his eyes. He had forgotten where he had parked his car. 

"Fuck," Roman cursed out. 

"Mr. Vitali?" He heard the sweet voice and snapped his head to look over at the blonde who stood a few feet away from him. Roman was drunk but he could still make out the teen. 

"You," He said loudly, pointing towards her. Evelina rose a brow at that and watched him stumble towards her. She had finally given up on him coming back to the room and decided to leave. 

She was instantly able to notice how drunk he was. Evelina wrapped an arm around him to keep him steady, Roman wrapped an arm around her waist without even thinking about it. 

"I'm sorry about earlier," He slurred out, words sounding like mush. The teen cracked a smile at how he sounded and the way he was acting, she had never seen him like this. "I was just upset, but I like how you were there for me," Roman mumbled out. 

Evelina smiled at the drunk man, her arm still wrapped firmly around him, "No problem. I think we need to get you home now, though." She went to turn around to get a cab for them, but Roman latched onto her. He was hugging her like his life depended on it. 

She was confused by the action. "I'm just so happy you were there for me." Roman distressed, looking down at her. 

"Well, I-" 

"You're so comforting." He said. "I need to do something really quick." Roman rushed out before slamming his mouth down onto the teens. He gave her a sloppy kiss, it threw Evelina off at first, but she didn't pull away from him; she kissed him back. 

She didn't question why he was kissing her, and she didn't try and stop it either. It seemed like it was comforting him, and that's what she wanted to do - comfort him and make him feel better. 

After the messy makeout session that didn't last longer than two minutes, Roman looked bewildered as he pulled away from her soft warm lips. "I should be getting back home now." He spoke with no emotion, he was shocked at what he had just done. Roman turned away, leaving the adolescent's grasp and went to go find his car. 

Evelina was once again, left alone and frozen in her place.