Chapter 28

~Ashley's POV//

I️ wake up again, wiping the tears away. I️ see the time and it's 3 am. I️ get up and walk out of the room to the back porch. I️ sit down and just think.

~Mason's POV//

I️ turn over and put my arm out to grab Ash but instead I️ feel emptiness. My eyes flash open and she's not in the bed. I️ check the bathroom and see she's not there. I️ feel there's a wet spot on her pillow. She had another nightmare. I️ walk out into the kitchen and get worried. She's no where to be found. I️ look at the back porch and let out a breath. I️ see her sitting out there. She's wearing my shirt. I️ walk back into the room and go back to bed. I️ didn't let myself fall asleep till I️ felt Ashley get back into bed.

~Ashley's POV//

I️ wake up knowing I️ have plans and groan. I️ do bare minimum makeup because I️ don't feel like it. I️ put on an extra long sleeve sweatshirt to hide my bruises. When I'm ready I️ see Mason sitting in the kitchen on his phone waiting for me. I️ look to him and then look to the ground. I️ feel him inspecting me and then walks out to the car and I️ follow. We have to go to lunch with everyone. The car ride is dead silent and then I️ turn on music and avoid conversation. I️ hum to the beat of the song. We finally get there. I️ get out of the car and follow Mason to see a booth full of my friends and brother. They scoot over and Mason takes a seat and then I️ take a seat next to him.

"Hey guys." I️ hear Harley say.

"Hey." I️ hear Mason say like nothing has happened.

I️ just keep my head down.

"Excuse me. Did you die or something?" Harley says again clearly to me.

"Sorry." I️ say shaking my head. "I️ was zoned out." I️ lie.

"Oh ok. You scared me." She says.

Most of the conversations were a blur. I️ ordered a salad and didn't eat any of it. I️ just kept my head down most of the time. I️ get up and excuse myself to the bathroom and Sam comes with me.

"I'm not stupid. What's up?" She ask concerned.

"Nothing." I️ say simply.

"Liar." Sam says annoyed. "Ok fine you don't have to tell me. But I'm always here for you." She says and walks out.

I️ wait a minute and walk out. I️ see Mason's gone and I️ look around. Everyone avoids eye contact with me and I️ stand up and look out the window to see Mason sitting on the curb smoking a cigarette. I️ feel my heart break even more. He promised me he would quit smoking for good. I️ sit back down and feel a tear run down my cheek. I️ quickly wipe it away.

"You guys didn't make up, did you?" Hunter asks.

I️ just shake my head. I️ rest my head on my hands and my sleeve slides down. I️ quickly try and pull it back but I'm not fast enough.

"What the hell happened?!" Lucas asks.

"Nothing. " I️ say.

"Ashley- Hunter says but gets cut of by the waitress bringing the bill.

I️ see Mason walk back in and everyone is staring at him.

"Ok well I️ think we're gonna go." I️ see Jordan and Emily stand up and leave.

"Ash you guys should come over." Sam says.

"Ok." I️ say and stand up.

We drive to Hunter and Sam's place. I️ sit in the room with Sam and Harley and they are doing my hair.

"I'll be right back, I'm going to get some water." Harley says.

Harley walks out of the room. I️ hear Harley scream and we rush out to see what's happening. I️ see Hunter and Lucas throwing punches at Mason and my jaw drops.

"You fucking bastard I'm going to teach you to not put your hands on my sister!" Hunter screams at Mason throwing another punch.

"Your an excuse of a man!" I️ hear Lucas scream.

My heart breaks. I️ fall to the floor and start sobbing.

Harley's already begging Lucas to stop and Sam starts trying to pull away Hunter. Mason's on the floor and Hunters still kicking him. Lucas turns around to me and picks me up and hugs me. He pulls my head down and I cry on his shoulder.

"He won't hurt you ever again or I'll kill him." Lucas whispers in my ear and squeezes me. I️ sob even more.

Harley comes over and hugs me as well. Lucas let's me down and I️ see Hunter. His hands are all bloody. He wraps his arms around me and hugs me.

"I️ will protect you with my life." He says.

He lets go of me and I️ fall to the floor. Lucas and Harley go home and Hunter runs out full of anger. Sam follows him. I️ craw over to Mason and cry even more. His face is all busted and bloody.

"I️ deserve this." He says and grabs my hand.

I️ jerk out of his grip and feel anger rise. "No you don't! Your taking this way to far!" I️ scream at him.

"I️ fucking put bruises on your body and hurt you physically! I️ deserve to die! I️ will never forgive myself for that. I️ don't even deserve you." He says his voice breaking.

"You lied ya know. You said you'd stop smoking for good. For me. Well I️ caught you smoking at lunch." I️ say heart broken.

"After everything that's happened I️ couldn't help it. I️ smoke because it helps with the pain. Look it's not easy to love someone who doesn't love you back. So I'd make it easier for you. I️'ll just walk out of your life. It might be the hardest thing I'll ever do, but at least it spares you." He says tears running down his cheeks.

"Is that what you think I want? You think I️ don't love you..?" Another tear runs down my cheek. "Mason, I️ love you with all of my heart. I've never felt love before and you changed that. I️ never thought I️ could live without someone in my life but you changed that. I️ thought I'd never be happy again. You made me happy. You saved my life. Every night I️ need to feel you next to me. You make me feel safe. I️ need to look in your eyes and know I️ have someone there for me. You always were. I️ don't know how many times I️ can say it, but I️ love you." I️ say sobbing.

I️ see Mason dosing off and I️ start to cry more. "Please don't leave me!" I️ scream at him. "I️ need you! I️ love you!" I️ scream.

I️ call 911 and wait for the ambulance to get here. It arrives and I️ watch them take him away. I️ sit there unable to move, to speak, to do anything...