18

Once Phil had heard that Dan is in hospital, he decided to eventually open his eyes.

Jenn: Phil! How are you feeling?

Phil: I'm fine.

Maria: *frowns* No more of that 'I'm fine' crap, it's banned from now on.

Phil: *sighs* He shouldn't have stopped me.

Jenn: Who? Dan?

Phil: Yes. He should've let me jump off that cliff.

Maria: And where would that leave us Phil? We're your mothers! We care about you!

Phil: You don't think I know that? It's not enough ok? The pain of just living and being myself is awful and I can't do it anymore!

Maria: So be yourself Phil. Don't let others take that away from you.

Phil: I can't be myself. It'll be worse than it is now!

Jenn: Why is that? Surely it can't be worse!

Phil: I can't be myself mum. Myself isn't accepted.

Maria: I'm sure you're accepted.

Phil: *sighs* You don't get it.

Jenn: Well if you'd tell us Phil we would get it! What's such a big deal that you can't tell us! We would never judge you!

Phil: It's not you judging me that I'm worried about! It's everyone else! The name calling, the hate, the assumptions.

Maria: What assumptions Phil?

Jenn: Just leave it Maria. He'll tell us when he's ready to. He doesn't have to tell us now.

Maria: *sighs* Fine.

They all sit in an awkward silence until Jenn speaks up.

Jenn: Dan is in hospital if you want to go see him.

Phil: No.

Jenn: Why not?

Phil: I hate him.

Maria: Phil! You can't hate the poor boy! He's in hospital barely surviving! He saved your life which may seem bad to you now but in 10 years you'd be eternally grateful towards him! So I'm telling you to go see him.

Phil: Ok fine!

Phil stands up and goes to the bathroom to change into anything other than the hospital gown. Maria clearly packed the clothes bag as most of the clothes are bright colours. Maria was the happier one of the two wives. Phil put on some red shoes, black jeans and a red shirt with a star on it.

Once he'd changed, his mothers left to go home while he went to see Dan. Phil asked the nurse which room Dan was in and he was directed to room 228. Phil knocked on the door and walked in. There was a lady in her thirties and a young boy about 13 in the room, sitting next to a bizarrely pale Dan.

Lady: *small smile* Hi. Who are you?

Phil: I'm Phil. A friend from school.

Lady: *confused* How did you know he was here?

Phil: He-he saved my life yesterday so the doctor told my mothers that he was in hospital.

Lady: He saved your life? How?

Phil: I was about to jump off a cliff and I took a lot of pills but he pulled me away from the cliff and made me throw up.

Lady: Why would you do that?

Phil: For reasons that no one can understand.

Lady: *confused* Right ok. Adrian let's leave Phil to have a chat with Dan...if he wakes up.

The lady stands up and takes 'Adrian' with her. Phil assumes that she's Dan's mother. Phil goes and sits in the crappy plastic chair next to Dan's bed.