22

Maria: Boys! The pizza's here!

Dan and Phil run down the stairs as if they're in a marathon and Jenn looks up from her book to laugh at them.

Jenn: Never seen anyone so excited for pizza.

Phil: Hm, what are you reading?

Jenn: Just a book about death and murder, the usual.

Maria: So you're being your happy self right?

Jenn: *defensive* It's a good book!

Phil goes to the kitchen with Dan and they fill up a plate each with pizza and go back upstairs. They start playing anime on the tv and eat their pizza in silence.

Dan: Ready for school tomorrow?

They'd been off school for a week, it was the February holidays. Phil wanted to block school out of his mind for as long as possible.

Phil: No. I'm ready for the lessons and all but Chris has gone back to his mothers so I'm going to be alone again.

Dan: *frowns* Sorry. I wish I could hang out with you but-

Phil: You don't have to explain yourself. It's fine. You have a reputation to uphold.

Dan: It's not like that. Why don't you try to make some friends?

Phil: *laughs* You sound like my mums. I can't make friends, I'm too awkward. Also, nobody likes me anyway and if someone did happen to become friends with me, they'd get bullied too and it's just not worth the trouble.

Dan: Phil, you're worth all the trouble in the world. If you tried to make friends, maybe you would.

Phil: I'd rather not. I'll just wait until Chris comes back in a few months.

Dan: Life's not fair.

Dan groans and lies his head back onto the bed.

Phil: Have you got a headache?

Dan: *nods*

Dan always had headaches. Ever since he was in hospital. Phil didn't want to ask what happened...well, he did but he didn't want to butt into something that wasn't his business.

Phil: Do you want a paracetamol?

Dan: *nods* Please.

Phil nods and goes downstairs to get Dan a paracetamol and a glass of water. He sees his mothers in the living room having a heated discussion about what movie they should watch.

Maria: Phil! Should we watch The Fault In Our Stars or Rogue One?

Phil: Rogue One obviously.

Jenn: Ha! Told you!

Maria: *pouts* Fine. Did you come down for something?

Phil: I came to get a paracetamol for Dan.

Maria: *nods* Has he got a headache again?

Phil: Yep. I'm just gonna go, hope you enjoy the film.

Maria: *sarcastic* We will.

Phil grabs everything and goes back upstairs. He hands the pill and the water to Dan.

Phil: There you go.

Dan: Thank you.

Phil: You sure do get a lot of headaches. I hope you have an unlimited amount of pain killers at your house.

Dan: Hmm.

Phil finished watching anime and turned to his left to see Dan sleeping. He didn't want to disturb him so he went downstairs to sit with his mums.

Jenn: Hey. Is Dan still upstairs?

Phil: Yeah. He fell asleep.

Maria: Poor thing. Maybe he should stay over. One of us will text his mum.

Phil: I'll stay in Martin's room.

Maria: Ok. It getting late, have you eaten since dinner time?

Phil: No, I'll go make a sandwich now. I'll make you one for Dan too. And get him another paracetamol.

Jenn: Ok. I've texted his mum and she said he could stay over. Goodnight Phil.

Phil: Night. Love you both.

Phil went to the kitchen, made the sandwiches, got a glass of water and paracetamol for Dan and then headed back upstairs.

Phil got back to his room and Dan was still sleeping. He felt guilty having to wake him up but he did. Dan wakes up startled but settles down once he realises that it was Phil.

Phil: Sorry. I put a sandwich on the table with a glass of water and paracetamol. My mum texted your mum and she said you could stay over tonight as it's getting late. I'm going to stay in Martin's room okay? Goodnight Dan.

Dan: *yawns* Night Phil.