🔸Chapter 34 - Reunions?🔸

**Jamie's pov**

Waking up to the sound of people rushing around used to be a usual morning occurrence for me, but now it feels strange. The sound of feet hitting the floor and the muffled voices through the layers of the house, accompanied by the occasional 'shushing' noises when a person speaks too loud.

When we still lived in England, at least one other family related - or not - to us was at our house in a morning. Always there to help out when we need it, you see our family is more like a giant group of friends that all have the same blood.

My great-grandfather used to say, 'blood is thicker than water, you can not go a second without blood, but you can go a few days without water.'

So yeah, I guess you could say it was nice, especially the familiarity of everything.

Sitting up in the bed - that's mine for the next week - I interlock my fingers and stretch them over my head, whilst arching my back, until I heard a satisfying crack. Then I proceeded to swing my legs over the side and stand up, my toes scrunching up in the soft, blood red carpet.

I come to a stop at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the kitchen. Gazing up at the coats, jackets and bags hung on hooks at the top, recalling a memory of Evan saying that it was the 'entrance to Narnia. '

Laughing lightly I stumble up and into the kitchen, where I find my mum and Aunty locked in a tight hug. Mum may not be related to Lisa by blood, but they are like sisters both knowing that the other will always be there for them.

"Morning guys." I say, my voice sounding strangely groggy.

"Good morning my lovely. How are you this fine morning!" Asks my aunt, while releasing my mum from her tight grip.

"Great. That room is a lot better, and I'm not afraid to go down there anymore." I laugh.

The cellar used to be terrifying, with large spiders creating even larger webs on the ceiling. Cracked white paint, crumbling off of the walls and a stone floor that hadn't been swept in years, that left dark stains on the soles of your feet and shoes. There were even minuscule glass shards spread across the floor, from dropped beer bottles that were dropped on their way into the square beer-fridge at the top of the stairs. It was also filled to the brim with junk, like yearly Christmas decorations, broken bikes and toys and things my Aunty couldn't bare to throw out and to top it off, a giant white freezer in the darkest corner that contained leftover food for later and all the other foods that wouldn't fit upstairs.

But the worst bit was the hole in the wall. One rectangular brick that was missing from the wall, leading under next doors house. No light ever got inside and it was pitch black. Do you ever think you see something when your laid in bed at night? Looking into there was one of the scariest things ever, especially with your mind making outlines of figures and quick movements in the dark abyss. Thank goodness they filled it in.

"Yes well, it was a little terrifying to go down there." Agreed Lisa. 

"How about you go get ready hun? Everyone's coming over later for lunch, to welcome us." Suggests my mum, to which I agree, before turning and heading back down into my temporary bedroom to get changed.

***

"Guys! People are arriving come on!"

Is what I hear yelled 3 hours later, I realise it's only 11:30 and that it's still morning. Going back up into the kitchen, I see my uncle Harry greeting a couple and a young woman - that looks to be their child - holding a small boys hand.

"Ah Jamie, you remember Mr and Mrs Grandhal don't you?" Harry asks turning to me with a smile.

Of course I remember them, they owned the local corner shop or did and their daughter Anna-Marie used to play out with my brother. When we were younger, we all used to play mummy and daddies together, I'd be the baby - since I was was the youngest of the three - Xavier of course was the daddy and Anna was the mummy. In those day, she and my brother believed they would grow old together they were only 10 or 11 at the time.

"Of course, I do! Mrs Grandhal, do you still own the corner shop?"

"Yes dear, but now we have an extra set of hands, with Anna being able to help out and her son Elijah." She replied. "Oh and call me, Catherine. Mrs Grandhal makes me feel older than I already am."

"You have a son?" Asks my mum, looking shocked.

"Yes, he's four."

"Well that's odd, I'm sure only four years ago Xavier told us he was coming back here to see someone." She says. "Oh my."

"Morning mum." Says my brother walking into the room and leaning against the door frame.

"Son is there something you'd like to tell us?" My mum replies looking slightly white.

"Maybe." He glances at Anna-Marie, who nods. "Four years ago I came back to be with Anna and she ended up having my son. Not long after I went back to work, but visited every so often and then I came to see you guys and lived with you for awhile."

"Wow."

"Yeah and we're engaged."

***********************************
Vote
Comment
Share