9

"You have reached your destination," Siri states proudly as I look up at a large white house.

"Thank you, friend," I slur and kiss my phone screen. I shove my phone into my jean jacket and start to make my way up the walkway.

I have to admit that it crossed my mind to make this a very dramatic scene from one of those Shakespeare plays. The thought of finding a dim lighted room and reaching down for a few pebbles to throw longingly at that certain window was pretty intriguing about now.

But I wasn't that drunk.

The cool air seems to have sobered me up some and now I am starting to feel uncertain about seeing Nate. Would he find me annoying for showing up at-- 1:09-- in the morning? Probably. And I'm sure his parents will enjoy that as well. Oh goodness, what I am doing here?

Before I can turn around and walk a few more houses down to sneak back up to my own bedroom and crash on my incredibly soft bed, my hand is already knocking on the door. There were no lights on in the house from what I can see. In fact, the whole place gave off an eery vibe with the vacant windows and indian summer crickets singing their lonely song.

I am about to give up and finally head home, when the door swings open. I cringe at the thought of a very annoyed Mr and Mrs Haynes wagging their finger at me but I am pleasantly surprised when a sleepy, sweatpant wearing Nathaniel is revealed behind the heavy oak door. Along with a yellow lab.

I stay silent, just staring at the tall boy in front of me. My hazy brain can't comprehend that I am standing here at this sinister hour at the Haynes house with Nate looking like I bothered him from a Friday of late night video game bingeing. But something else is off that I can't quite put my finger on.

"Hello?" His voice is gruff but weary, as if he knew he shouldn't have opened the door. His dog stays silent, judging me from his stance beside him.

"Hey." That is it. That is the smart respond I came up with. Hey.

"Kelly?"

The fact that he knows my voice now makes my stomach erupt with butterflies. That's when I notice what is off; his glasses. He's not wearing them. Nothing is eclipsing his beautiful eyes from me and I thank my lucky stars something good has come out of this night.

When I don't answer, Nate opens the door wider. "Is everything okay? Are you hurt? What's wrong?"

My smile grows.

"No, no, Nate, I am fine. And you are fine too." Oh Lord. Yup, that just came out.

"Um, Kelly, are you drunk?"

"Yes. Very." A childlike giggle escapes from the back of my throat. I cover my mouth to make the sound stop.

"D-Do you want to come inside? It's freezing out here."

I am surprised by this. I know this is what I was hoping for, hanging out with Nate even if it was just for a few minutes, but I am still caught off guard. It was kind of just a fantasy that I came up with on my walk over here.

"Your parents wouldn't mind you sneaking a girl in after midnight?" I bite down on my bottom lip, the thought intriguing me.

"I'm sure they would but they're not home. My dad went with my mom to Wilmington for a weekend getaway."

"You rebel."

"It's something new I'm trying out." There. He did it again. He was cracking jokes like Fluffy. I like it.

My smile is becoming creepy, I can feel it stretch on my face. I bite my lip again trying to think of something clever. Nate and me bantering back and forth is something that was still new to me. It kept me on my toes. The smart kid kept my brain gears turning.