23

"It took a little longer dropping the boxes off then I assumed it would," I lie into my phone. "Do you still want me to come over to finish the project?"

"Of course," Nate says. His voice is deep and smooth in my ear and it calms my anxiety over the situation.

"Okay, I'll be there in--" I slam on my breaks when I reach my driveway. "What the hell?"

"Kelly, what's wrong? Did you hit a deer?" For the first time ever, my mind manages to zone Nate's voice out.

My hands turn white from my grip on the steering wheel. I look like a deer in headlights as I stare at the truck parked in my driveway. What makes me feel like I was hit by a car is the person leaning against said truck speaking to my mother.

"Kelly? Kelly!" Nate's voice has grown panicked and it pulls me out of my foggy brain.

"I have to go," I manage to say and cut the call with Nate.

I get out of my car and slam the door shut behind me. This catches the attention of our guest and my mother.

"Look, dear," my mother says watching me as I make my way to her. "Daniel decided to stop by."

"Yes," I say through gritted teeth. "I see that."

"Hello, babe," Danny says, a charming smile on his handsome face. He leans forward and kisses my cheek. I don't pull back because I'm afraid that if I do, I will clock him in his clean shaven jaw.

"What are you doing here?" I look between him and my mother who is gazing up lovingly at my ex boyfriend. I have yet to let her know that he and I broke up because it would break her heart to know that her only child would not be marrying into the Greyson fortune anytime soon, as in never.

"I wanted to speak to you about something and I bumped into your mother while waiting. Where have you been?"

That's none of your damn business, I want to sneer at him but I sculpt my face to look like the calm, collected, fake that I am.

"Coffee with Alyssa. Should we get to it? I have things to do."

"Yes," my mother interrupts. She is practically jumping up and down in her pink dress, her pearls bouncing along with her. "I will start dinner. Daniel," she says turning back around. "Would you like to stay for dinner?"

"No," I say at the same time he says, "Yes." He looks down at me, a corrupt smirk on his lips as he does so.

"We're going out for dinner," I lie and grab hold of his elbow. He doesn't fight to get out of it.

"That's a shame. Maybe next time." My mother turns back to the house but before entering she calls over her shoulder, "send your parents my love."

"Will do, Mrs. Henderson." He looks back down at me, the good boy glow gone, his voice lowering. "Will do."

"What are you really doing here, Dan?" I have to keep my temper in check. I wasn't about to cause a scene in my driveway.

"To speak to you. Like I said."

"What about? We have broken up. What more is there to say?" My eyes keep darting a few houses down to Nate's, who happens to be waiting for me.

"Still seeing your lab partner?" His voice is dripping with venom but he shows no remorse as he speaks. He is good at masking his emotions unlike me. I remember him driving by Nate and me on our walk this morning and my guards instantly go up.

"Are you going to admit beating him up?" My fists clench at my sides.

His answer is another smirk and my fingernails dig into my palms. But I welcome the sting of pain because it takes my mind off hurting him. I want to hurt him the way he hurt Nate. But he is twice my size and I know the law. I wasn't about to get arrested for assault and battery and corrupt my future for this asshole.