16

The night is chilly and my light denim jacket is not cutting it

The night is chilly and my light denim jacket is not cutting it. I am also not wearing the right shoes to walk in mud. The constant drizzle of autumn is falling upon us and my white Chucks are hating me for it.

"Why are we walking so far out?" I ask as I move a branch out of my face. I hold it back until Nate has passed by as well. We have been walking through what is known by the public as Lover's Land, an open grassy field that is surrounded by forest which can easily hide the canoodling bodies that inhabit it on Friday nights. I've never considered it a creepy place until tonight.

The moon is only a sliver in the sky, casting a shadow over the black painted scenery that is soon going to launch a homemade matchstick rocket. My stomach is in knots from the what-ifs of endless scenarios. I arrived to Nate's extra early to drive him here and watched carefully as they assembled it. Nothing seemed to be ammiss. I know what to look for.

"You don't want to start a forest fire, do you?" Molly answers solemnly, her heavy boots crunching leaves as she makes her way through the trees.

I stop which makes Nate bump into me. I reach beside me and steady him, ignoring his unneeded apology. "I thought you said no fire was going to be needed for this kind of rocket."

"Would you chill?" For some reason she finds my uneasiness funny. "It's just easier to see where it lands if we are in an open field. It's only another mile. Let's keep going."

I begin walking again with Nate trailing behind me. My hand mindlessly went from guiding him by his forearm to his right hand, my fingernails tickling the inside of his wrist while sliding down to clasp my hand over his. I look over at him while I do so and notice a visible shiver rack through him as my nails scrape across his sheet paper skin. I can practically feel it course into me and the feeling is indescribable; Like the moon grew ten times its size and now lit up the surrounding areas, the light source coming from me.

I smirk when he doesn't go to remove our clasping hands but then again he probably figures he shouldn't bite the hand that is feeding him. My excitement fades at the thought that he doesn't really want to hold my hand but is doing so because just that; he needed to be guided and nothing else. I let go of his hand as if he shocked me. His fingers grasp tightly around mine in panic before I moved them back to his forearm, dragging him out into the open field.

Once we are out in the open, Gavin and Trent hoot and holler like a pack of wolves. I can't help but be amused by this. They were now in their element. Even Nate takes a deep breath in and lets it out, his smile grows larger with each step we take. Oh, I want to hold his hand again.

Nate isn't an angry person but he isn't an overly excitable one either. He frowns more than he smiles, or looks more serious than playful in his daily routine. But there are times when he does smiles and it almost knocks me off my feet. It's like I am caught in the sunlight, gazing at it though I know my eyes will pay for it later because when I look away I am blinded by how beautiful it is.