25

I promised Nate that I would meet him in the parking lot after my cheer practice is over and he is done with a makeup test that he missed because of his unfortunate injuries

I promised Nate that I would meet him in the parking lot after my cheer practice is over and he is done with a makeup test that he missed because of his unfortunate injuries. But right now, as I'm tying my laces of my cheer shoes, I would much rather be at home or anywhere else for that matter.

All the girls gather around on the grass, their heads bent together as they look at the little black book with stunts. When I approach them, they all turn and smile. I try my hardest to smile back.

"Hey ladies," I say tightening my ponytail. I reach for the book but Alyssa holds it over her head.

"Not so fast, Captain." She grins and for a second I'm scared for my life. Alyssa smiling from ear to ear is dangerous. "Are you going to spill about why you missed the last couple practices?"

I called in because I was too upset about what happened with Nate. To know that most of these girls were friends with my old group of friends really irked me. Cheer practices, though we do go through routines if it is for State, are mostly an hour worth of gossiping. I am more than positive I was the buttend of the talk. And I didn't want to be there to catch it.

I shrug. "I had mono," I lie. This might appear to be true to them because I had missed a few days of school as well, which my parents are oblivious about. I escaped over to Nate's to make sure he was comfortable during his bedrest. School the last thing on my mind.

I look across the field at the football team doing drills. Danny is currently running across the field to catch the ball, shirt drench with sweat. His teammates clap their hands as he cradles the ball and does his annoying, stupid, victory dance. I imagine myself headbutting him like the rest of his team is doing to the dummies on the sidelines.

"But you're feeling better now?" Alyssa continues to ask. I can't tell if she can detect that I am lying but she lets it go when I shrug my shoulders again.

"Are you sure?" This comes from Mariah who then shrinks back when my glare narrows in on her dull brown eyes.

"Are we going to get to it or are we going to stand around all night?" I snap. After a few glances around the circle, Alyssa grudgingly hands me the black book and I flip through it. All the girls' eyes are on me as I pretend to be interested in which routine to practice first.

I really want to go home. Actually, what I really want to do involves Nate and myself at either one of our houses with our butts planted on the couch and a movie in front of us. I loved watching movies with Nate because, though I can see the screen, Nate is the one that usually ends up explaining the movie to me. He is a big film buster and has got me hooked on Game of Thrones.

"Hey, Kelly?" Paige, the girl I officially met at the bonfire hushly asks as I direct everyone to take their places.

"What's up?" My eyes remain on the book as I speak.