Copycat

Lena had been tracking Rebekah for weeks now, she couldn't face telling Alex that her little sister might be dead because of her own stupidity at involving humans in this business in the first place, and finally she had found Rebekah who was already in New Orleans, and had completed her mission in finding Elijah who she hadn't seen in over a century. Lena knocked on the front door of the Mikaelson mansion which she had once called home, but that was in another life time like most of the happy things in her life. 

"Lena!" Rebekah said happily pulling Lena into the mansion, shutting the door behind her, Katherine and Elijah completed the welcome party, pulling her in for hugs and hand shakes of acknowledgements, suddenly Lena's heart dropped if Katherine was here that was bound to mean one or two things, the first was that Alex and Maggie were also here, which was the one thing that Lena had been trying to avoid, or the second thing Kathrine had finally had enough of having to keep two humans safe that she finally killed them, which is what she had been dying to do since day one after all. 

"Where's Kara?" Alex's strong voice came from behind her, Lena looked round to see the smile fading from Alex's face, Maggie as always standing string by her side. "Lena, where's Kara, where's my sister?" Alex repeated the question a look of fear now evident in her eye, she hoped in her deepest dreams that Kara was safe with one of the most powerful beings on this earth and she hoped to go that was still true and she had just stopped off at the shop of something mundane like that.  

"I don't know" Lena said truthfully bowing her head slightly, Alex furrowed her eyebrows as Maggie held her hand trying to comfort the love of her life, but Alex couldn't think of anything else bare those three words that just came out of Lena's mouth and were now echoing around her head like surround sound. 

"What the hell do you mean, you don't know?" Alex asked breaking free of Maggie's grip her face now millimetres away from Lena's staring into her guilty emerald eyes that were stripped from all light that once resided inside of them, like it vanished along with Kara. 

"We were being chased down by a wild pack of werewolves and I told her to run to the road, As soon as I'd fought the werewolves off I followed her scent, she never made it to the road, Klaus found her first." Lena gulped, holding back the tears that followed the painful memories of the past couple of weeks, "By the time I got there he had already taken her, all that was left was blood, and I don't know where he could have taken her, so I came here." Lena said emotionally, looking up at Alex who had tears of anger cascading down her cheeks, her jaw clenched and Lena could see her fists tightening at the side of her body. "I'm-" Lena began to apologise but before she could say anymore Alex jumped on top of her sending her flying towards the ground as the oldest Danvers sister flung punch after punch at Lena's face. 

Len didn't bother to fight back, she closed her eyes as she lay on the ground wincing each time Alex's fist made contact with her string cheekbones which were now broken, just like her soul. She deserved this, it should never have been Kara that Klaus got his claws into, it should have been her. Maggie pulled Alex off of Lena, still screaming, cursing, flailing her limbs around in anger and frustration. 

"Take her to your room, away from Miss Salvatore" Elijah said calmly as Maggie nodded helping a now exhausted Alex who was crying hysterically up the stairs to their shared bedroom in the Mikaleson mansion. 

"Lena are you alright? You didn't even fight back?" Rebekah asked as Lena stood to her feat, her body aching, she may be hybrid but her body still needed time to heal from the assault. She walked away from the three vampires who were standing in confusion, at the brunettes actions. 

"Lena!" Katherine called after Lena's trailing body but still no answer came. Lena walked into her old room, which hadn't changed a bit since the last time she had lived here, she locked the door behind her, sitting down at her old desk which creaked with her weight, she was surprised that the wood hadn't rotted away by now. She took out an old leather bound journal, she like Kara used to keep a diary, but this was the first time in a long time she had written in one, she opened the journal up, she hadn't had enough time to write in it before fleeing the mansion all those years ago, so there was not one bit of writing concealed within it. 

Dearest Kara I fear I have failed you and your family after vowing to keep you safe for the rest of your lifetime on this earth. These past weeks have been the longest of my entire existence, not knowing if your dead or alive is beginning to take a toll on my reserve, I don't know how much longer I can keep fighting for, I don't even know why I'm writing this, maybe one day fate will bring us together again and you will be able to read this. But seeing as I can't talk to you, maybe writing all of this down pretending you can read this will help me accept that you are gone. I am beginning to realise that Niklaus would take great happiness in seeing you dead and how much that would pain me, I am sorry for bringing you into this mess I hope one day you will forgive me as I fear if by some miracle you are alive right now, I will be unable to rescue you from him. You will have to become your own Hero Kara, because I am anything but that. 

Lena out the pen down, before ripping out the page of her journal scrupling it up and throwing it across the room, the bit of paper burst into flames before disappearing completely from the room, Lena jumped to her feat, she knew magic when she saw it and that was some powerful magic at that, but she had no idea who could have cast such a spell. 

***********************************************************************************************

Kara was curled up in the corner of her cell, shivering from a mix of hunger and the cold, when suddenly in a spiral of fire a small piece of ripped paper appeared in front of it, she grasped a hold of it, and immediately recognised that beautiful, elegant handwriting to be that of Lena's, Kara smiled but as she read through what the letter revealed her smile turned rather abruptly upside down as she held the letter to her chest after reading it. 

"Lena Salvatore when will you learn that you were always a hero to me" Kara's small voice cracked as she whispered into the darkness of her cell, a lone tear trailing slowly down her pale cheek. 

Authors Note!  

Hey guys hope you enjoyed that chapter and thank you for all the votes, reads and comments!