Chapter 1 (Tough)

(Y/n's pov)

June 1989. It was the last period of the school year. I sat patiently in my seat, eager to get out of this prison before I have to go back in two months.

The school bell rings and jump out of my seat, picking up my backpack that already had all that I needed in it. I didn't stay to listen to my teacher, Mrs. Casey, remind us about the summer reading assignment that I wasn't going to do anyway.

I step outside of the classroom to see my boyfriend, Henry Bowers, and his friends. More like goons if you ask me. Henry smirks at me. "You look like you're ready for the summer," he says and wraps his arm around my shoulders lazily. "Tell me about it," I sigh heavily as we start walking down the hall. Henry's friends following, giving kids glares which scared them half to death.

I was popular in this school and town. Mostly because I was dating the person every kid was scared of. Even I was scared of him. When I started dating Henry, he was sweet and caring, but now he's torturing all the kids that are different from him. I honestly don't know what happened that could change him so drastically, but I think it's his father. Just a theroy.

"What are you planning on doing this summer, (Y/n)?" Patrick asked me and I glanced at him before looking forward, grinning. Patrick's my favorite out of all my boyfriend's friends. "Nothing really," I replied before turning to Henry. "Which means I'll have a lot of free time," I chuckle and wink at him. He grins back at me.

We step out of the school and start walking to Belch's car. I see the Losers Club in the distance and I swallow hard. I didn't want to see them bully this kids. I liked them, they were always nice to me. I sometimes have a little bit of small talk with them. Thank God Henry never sees that. He'd throw a fit.

Henry lets go of my shoulders and walks up behind the club with his friends while I slowly follow. Henry grabs trashmouth's, Richie Tozier's, backpack and pulls him back, causing him to collide with Stanley Uris. Stanley yelps and they both fall to the floor. I cringe slightly and I feel so tempted to help them up. Patrick picks up Stan's kippah. "Nice frisbee, flamer," he says, laughing before standing up and throwing it into an on going bus. I only sigh and shake my head.

I start to walk with them as they go to the car. Belch burps in Eddie Kaspbrak's face and pushes him which causes the kid to almost throw up. Henry hits his shoulder against the stuttering kid's shoulder as he walks past him and mumbles something. His name is Bill, but I forget his last name. I only have one class with him.

I turn away before I here Bill yell, "You sshhh-uck, Bowers!" My eyes slightly widen and turn around with the rest of the gang. He really shouldn't have done that.

"You s-s-s-say something, B-b-b-billy?" Henry says mockingly and steps towards the fuming kid. I'm honestly suprised Bill didn't step down by now. I bite my lip and consider stepping in. I don't do it a lot, because Henry fuses over it so much. "You got a free ride, because of your little brother. Ride's over, Benbrough." Well now I know his last name. Henry stepped over the line now and I wasn't going to sit and watch.

"Henry," I saw calmly and he turns to me. I give him a look and shake my head. He huffs, but gives in.

"This summer's going to be a hurt train for you and your faggot friends," Henry says before licking his palm and wiping it against Bill's cheek. He turns back around and wraps his arm around my shoulders again and we walk to the car. I look over my shoulder to see the losers club looking at me shocked. I smile softly and wink at them before turning my attention forward.

The whole car ride I was silent, knowing I was going to get in an argument with Henry about what just happened later. The guys talk about what they are going to do to some new kid named Ben. I don't listen to them on purpose.

You might be wondering, why am I still with Henry? Like I said before, I'm scared of him. Everyone thinks that we have a good relationship, but in reality we fight. A lot. It gets so heated he threatens to either spread rumors that I'm a slut, he'll do something to hurt me, or shoot my family. He has actually hurt me before, leaving a bruise on my cheek and scars on my arms.

Belch stops at a gas station to get cigarettes and snacks. "What anything, (Y/n)?" Vic asks me as he gets out of the car. I shake my head and he nods, going inside the store with Belch and Patrick. I'm left in the car with Henry.

He's silent for a moment before speaking. "Why did you stop me?" he asked and stared me down. I can be tough one moment, but then the next I melt into a puddle. I looked at my lap before speaking, "Your dad was there," I used an excuse. "He wouldn't want you to get in a fight." Henry isn't buying my bullshit. He knows when I'm lying. He shakes his head at me. "You're too soft, (Y/n)," he says lowly. "We need to fix that."

I look up at him to be meant by his beady eyes. My heart is pounding in my chest and my palms are sweaty, but I manage to keep my face calm. "You can't defend those losers," he says slowly and gets closer. I stay where I am and I don't back down. I don't want to show him that he scares me.

"You have to toughen up," he grumbles and grabs my side. I flinch immediately and he squeezes my ribs, making my grimace in pain. I make sure not to make a sound. He backs away when the guys walk out of the store. They jump in the car and hand Henry a cigarette, he gladly took it. Belch drove off to downtown and they resumed their discussion.

I lay a hand over my ribs and fight back the tears, shaking. Nobody seemed to notice. 'Suck it up, (Y/n). Suck it up,' I repeat to myself.

(A/n)

My first chapter, ahhh. I hope you liked it!