Papers

Alexander

I looked at the papers, was this the right thing to do? It was what I wanted but only John could make it a reality. We had to go back to school though so I couldn't go ask him immediately but I know exactly what I want for my birthday.  I sat through classes nervously, the papers in my bag, I could barely pay attention. Why was today so slow? I wanted school to end already, I had something important to ask John.

I sighed and face planted in the middle of legal writing, maybe if I slept it would go by faster. I know I should pay attention but I couldn't care at the moment, I had way more to worry about then a legal writing course right now. I mean, I should've been paying attention to my education but I really just couldn't be fucked.

The more I tried to not pay attention to the fact that I was stuck in my classes the more I became extremely painfully aware of it, why did school have to last so long? There aren't enough hours in the day for school to take up over half of them. I had so much to do today, so much to talk about, so much to discuss, so much to decide. I had too much to do to be stuck inside a course but there was no point in skipping since John was going to school so I may as well try and focus or at least write some offhanded notes so I might be ae to actually study later. My mind was way to busy to focus on my studies right now.

When school finally ended I ran across the debate tables to John and grabbed his wrist, ignoring his yelling and complaints about me basically dragging him. I ran back to our dorm and jumped onto the couch, "Are you going to tell me what this is about yet?" John asked sarcastically.

I nodded and fished in my bag to find the papers which I handed to John, "I know what I want for my birthday if you'd accept it too." I told him bluntly as he read over the papers slowly.

It took John a moment before he slowly looked up, "Adoption papers?" He asked as his body began to slowly shake, "We aren't even married so if you-if we did this I-I-"

"-I-I know!" I put the papers on the coffee table before I took his hands, "But I know for sure that I want to spend my life with you. We're not ready for marriage, neither of us are ready for it, and I understand that. I know we have some things we have to iron out before we even try and get married but we've already planned children." I smiled as gently and reassuringly as I could, "We can do it, John, we can go the distance, but I'll let you decide if we choose to adopt or not..."

John slipped his hands out of mine and took the papers to look at them before he asked, "There's a name on this. Frances Eleanor, who's Frances Eleanor?" He looked back at me with a confused look.

"Well, you see..." I put my hands on the back of my head and looked away a bit shyly, "I went through the adoption process with father so if you decided to let us we just have to sign there at the bottom above the dotted line with our names in print under them. Frances Eleanor is a baby, she was born four months ago and her parents were killed by hurricane Maria when it hit Puerto Rico. She would've died if we hadn't stepped in and she's really cute but I won't make you adopt her." I loved that girl but first and foremost I had to remember John and I are a team and have to talk and agree on major life decisions such as this.

John looked at the paper before sighing, "I'm not saying no." He decided and looked at the paper, "I want to meet Frances Eleanor before we adopt her. It's funny, isn't it?" He poked me and I grinned, "We planned a girl named Frances way back, didn't we? This feels like fate. Maybe we should adopt her, but, I want to see her before I decide." He put the papers down again, "You're so crazy."

I laughed and nodded, "I guess but I just really want a family! Especially a family with you. I love you, John Laurens, and though I don't know when I promise I do plan on making you John Hamilton. Oh and obviously Frances Eleanor will take on the last name Hamilton since you wanted to take my last name. That's still right, right? It's still true, right?"

John nodded instantly, "Yes of course." He kissed my cheek and I grinned again, "I don't want to keep my father's disgusting name. I don't want to be known as a Laurens, I don't. He's a terrible man, he really is, and I can't live my life being a Laurens since each time I hear that name I remember my father, Henry Laurens, and everything he did to me. However, as John Hamilton, I'd remember all the things you did for me and everything would be better."

I didn't have to hesitate to lean forward and kiss him gently. I pulled him closer and he put his hands on my shoulders. I felt special this time like this was different. We were holding each other and just enjoying the feeling of euphoria between us. My birthday is in six days which meant if he agreed then we'd soon be parents and that was enough to push us into a tender embrace and longing kiss. I love this man, I will forever love this man, one day I'll marry this man.