Opening Night

Elizabeth

Funny, one of the first songs in this show was about breathing when I couldn't. Angelica was making her rounds with water while Jane and Theo ran around to touch up everybody's hair and costumes. I don't think my lungs even exist right now.

"Eliza," Somebody put their hand over my shoulder and I looked only to lose all the breath from my body, Mandy fucking Gonzalez. She smiled softly, "You did amazing in rehearsals. I promise it isn't as hard as you think. It's really easy to perform once you get past the first word, come on. Practice with me, let's try and sing It Won't Be Long Now, okay? It's good to practice not just because it warms your throat up but it helps the before shows jitters, okay?" She smiled and Eliza nodded tensely.

That was her biggest song next to Champagne in the show so she was glad Mandy was willing to help her. Mandy began to hum the instrumental version as Eliza shakily sang the first paragraph, "The-The elevated train by my window doesn't faze me anymore. The rattling screams don't disrupt my dreams..it's a lullaby, in its way. The elevated train drives everyone insane but I don't mind, oh no. When I bring back boys they can't tolerate the noise and that's okay, 'cause I never let them stay and one day, I'm hoppin' that elevated train and I'm riding away-ey-ayyyyy! It won't be long now!" She stuttered and took

Mandy started clapping, "Yes, Eliza! Yes!" She giggled and Eliza felt a grin slide across her face, "You're going to absolutely kill it! Don't worry, really, you're going to kill it!"

"Thanks..." She felt a bit better now, if she could sing backstage with a huge star then she definitely could do it out in front of an audience of strangers. She took a deep breath and looked up at Mandy, "Really."

"It's alright," Mandy said and got up, "I just know all about the opening night jitters." She said and pointed over at Angelica, "I'll be over there now." She said and walked over, it was then I noticed Angie looked so scared. Huh.

Alexander

Nervousness couldn't explain my emotions. Opening Night. Today. I've had this little idea in my head for this show since high school and now here I was on opening night, almost a year since our first rehearsal. My daughter was only about eight months old when we started and now she's over a year old, Susan being two now. My second year of college is more demanding than my first. A new baby had joined us too, Theodosia Burr, everything was going too fast but at the same time, it seemed to be working for all of us.

I decided to sit up front for the first show with Frances Eleanor on my lap, Peggy sat next to me with her little toddler. Susan had two ponytails jutting from her head as she had begun to love it, a glittery red dress on her with black shoes that she called jelly shoes because of the material. The friendship between Frances Eleanor and Susan had me and most everybody taking twenty pictures a day.

They were both quiet and soon the show started. When John ran on to chase Graffiti Pete away Frances Eleanor shouted, "Dahee!" In the silence, John glanced at her but I was shocked to see he didn't break character as he continued the song. Maria slunk into her seat halfway through the opening song and she and Peggy cuddled each other.

When Eliza stepped on as Vanessa Susan did what Frances Eleanor did and shouted, "Auntie!" She waited a bit and then saw Angelica and shouted the same word again. I did feel nervous about them shouting in the middle of the performance but I wanted them to be here for this, they were the backbone of our determination to finish this.

Theodosia and Aaron were to my left with Thomas who was with Jane after them. Theodosia had Little Theo with her but she was drinking a bottle so she wouldn't cry and had earmuffs to protect her developing ears as she is just one month, Aaron had the twins and they were clapping a lot, they just learned how to clap so they did it a lot.

I felt a bit overwhelmed but at the same time I couldn't believe my imagination was coming to life, and when Mandy strode across the stage belting out Breathe I lost my breath, how ironic. This had to be the best night of my life.

Benny, Sonny, Pete, Nina, Vanessa, Usnavi, they were here. They were alive. They were here, living, leading their lived and going through their ups and downs. Nina's self-consciousness, Benny's desperation, Usnavi's one-sided love, Vanessa's inability to reach her dream until she finally gets help, Abuela Claudia's love, Sonny's ideas, Kevin's need for validation, and Camila's determination. It was here, and before we even got to The Club I felt myself begin to cry.

Finally, Blackout. Frances Eleanor was entranced and kept yelling, "Firework!" When the actors did. It was adorable and the end where Mandy ran to J Quinton to kiss him was amazing. I jumped up and clapped with Frances Eleanor trying to do the same. I ran backstage as intermission began and found John, "Dayee!" Frances Eleanor yelled again and he turned around with a grin.

"Hey baby," He grinned and took her from me, pulling his red over shirt off and Angelica helped him put on the blue one as he bounced Frances Eleanor, "Do you like daddy's singing?" He asked her.

"Yed!" She shouted and he grinned. The lights then began to dim to show intermission was ending so I headed back to my seat with Frances Eleanor who didn't want to leave John at all. We sat down and soon we heard the slow tune to show Sunrise was starting.

Everything went great with the show but still, one thing made me leave for a drink. In Champagne, Vanessa and Usnavi made out. Eliza and John. I had to leave. Frances Eleanor complained but I just had to step out.