01

He forgot to carry the one, and now his work is all wrong, I mentally critique Mr. Harrison. I wanted to raise my hand, but someone beat me to it and spoke up. Gosh, if they're assigning teachers that can't see their own mistakes, how do they expect us students to do a good job on our tests? The public school system is messed up already, they should be hiring better teachers.

Or I should move to a better school.

Keeping quiet, I wrote down the answer to the problem before Mr. Harrison was done. I had already gone through the syllabus when it was distributed, only having to re-read the chapters, understand the formulas and that was all. I could easily switch places with the man, and I'd do a better job at his job while still chasing a diploma.

"Next week, we'll be starting a new chapter on Integral, so study up," Mr. Harrison informed. Already did, and finished the given problems in the book. I packed up my books, heading towards my last class of the day; History. It was one of the many classes that I'd never want to be late, not only because it will affect my attendance but also because the teacher scares me. Mrs. Rivers is an older woman in her late fifties that looked to have worked as a warden of some sort because of how strict she is about both presentation and punctuality. I've never had an issue with the woman, so I'm not targeted a lot when it comes to detention or any other form of punishment, and I'd like to keep it that way.

"Yo, Daniel!" As I was about to enter the history class, my friend, Corbyn, walked towards me. He was five months older than me, and born in the year 1998, but he still attended school the same as I was because of his birthday. Despite being older than me, we acted similar. "Are you still up for tonight?" He asked, and I frowned. Because of Mr. Harrison's poorly presented work, I had forgotten about our plan to play video games at his house, and instead, made a note to do some extra work.

And plus, it was the weekends, God knows that Mrs. Rivers will assign some homework to do during the weekend.

"I'm not sure, man," I apologized, "Mrs. Rivers might assign some last minute work, but I'll probably be free tomorrow—it being Saturday, after all." The blonde nodded in understanding, before patting my back and heading towards his class. Once he disappeared down the hall, I pushed the door open and entered the somewhat empty class. Mrs. Rivers might be running a bit late, much to my relief.

Taking a seat on my usual place, I pulled out my books and stationary, placing them neatly on my desk, while waiting for the teacher. As the class began to crowd, everyone sighing in relief when they noticed the empty desk in the front, chattering away, but was immediately silenced when the slouched figure entered the room. I did a quick survey of the class, finding an empty seat at the far corner at the back and rolled my eyes. Of course she's late.

"Let's assume that—" Mrs. Rivers was cut off at the echoing sound of laughter, outside of the class door. Rolling my eyes at the sight of none other than Brennan Tanner entering the class, waving carelessly at her friend outside of the class as she closed the door behind her. Feeling the tension in the class, she looked up to see everyone staring at her and Mrs. Rivers glaring at her, and how she reacted: she sent the older lady a grin.

"'Sup, Miss Rivs," she nodded to the teacher. I mentally groaned, slouching a bit in my chair, cautiously watching as Mrs. Rivers' face turned a shade of red. If it was an animated movie, steam would be spewing from both her ears and nose.

"You're late, Miss Tanner," she spat, her foot tapping impatiently. Brennan shrugged, walking over to her seat and lifting her boot-clad feet onto her desk as she leaned back into her seat. "And get your feet off the table, this is a classroom not a bar!" Mrs. Rivers was practically screeching from how angry she is. We're only three weeks into the semester, and Brennan has already been late every single day.