18

It's been a few days, I thought and today was finally the day that my mother gets released from the hospital. She was given time off work because of this incident, and ever since she got admitted, I'd been running back and forth from the hospital to make sure she was okay. I stayed in her room during the time, and she woke up the next day after she got admitted, unfortunately I was in school when she did. I had headed straight to the hospital after school, and she assured she was fine.

My days went on like that until this Wednesday, which was luckily the last day of school before thanksgiving break. "Daniel, I'm fine, I was able to rest for the past three days, I am capable of walking."

"I know, but—"

"Let your mother walk," she scolded playfully, a laugh escaping from her lips. The color of her skin had begun to come back, but since she was bedridden for the past few days, she was still wobbly when walking. She had already signed some papers to assure that she'd be released before we climbed into her car and headed back home. The topic of what had happened on Sunday wasn't brought up during my visits since I didn't know how to bring it up, but now was the time.

"You really scared me, mom," I admitted, glancing over at her to see she was staring out the window beside her. "Why didn't you stop me from leaving the house?"

"Because Daniel," she faced me, her features soft with a small smile on her chapped lips, "I wanted you to forget—to not have to feel burdened for your father's death, I guess it's also my fault because I shouldn't have left the house at such a vulnerable state."

"But I could've lost you too, you know?" I muttered, loud enough for her to hear. "I might be growing, but I'm still not ready to lose you, mom." She smiled at me, reaching to hold onto my free hand.

"I know, sweetie," she nodded, "I'm lucky to have you as a son and will be more careful." I could only send her a smile before silence took place in the car. We reached the house and I helped her with her things.

"Agh, damn it," I heard her mutter as she searched through her things. "I think I forgot to get the medicine they prescribed for me."

"Is it in the hospital?" She nodded. "I'll get it, can I have the receipt for it?" She handed it to me and I then headed back to the hospital. I headed to the counter, informing the receptionist about the medicine, to which she redirected me to the hospital's pharmacy. I followed the directions she had given me, but stopped short when I noticed a familiar name plaque by a closed door.

Dr. Travis. The name brought me back to when Brennan received a call from him. Now that I thought of it, Brennan hadn't been in school since Monday, but I didn't notice since I was in and out of school quickly, not being able to concentrate on a lot of things.

My curious self walked towards the door, peeking through the glass of the door to see two people. An older man that looked to be in his early fifties, and someone with a beanie over their hair. The older man—which I assumed was Dr. Travis since he was wearing a white coat—had their back to the door, but also blocked the view of the person he was talking to.

Again, I was being curious and once I start, I couldn't stop. I pressed my ear against the door after making sure no one was around, only hearing a few words through the door.

"... You're doing quite well, but you shouldn't have done something that would increase your blood pressure, it could've been fatal," he explained to the patient. "I have a few lists of donors—"

"I told you, I don't want to have a blood transfusion, alright? It won't do much." My blood ran cold at the sound of her voice. No, it couldn't be. "I was late diagnosed, but lucky enough to not have it be too late—but now, it's too late for any treatment."