10

It's been a month since that last conversation, but she actually kept her distance. It's been a month and we're now in November. Looks and nods had been shared between Brennan and I, but other than that, we acted like how we used to. We acted like strangers.

I'd be lying if I said that it felt normal, because it didn't. Of course during school, Brennan and I never talked a lot, because we'd keep this image of each other. Brennan; the bad girl that hangs around the other delinquents, while I kept the good guy image of being the school's poster boy. It felt weird when I'd see her outside of school, and not talk to her, because we weren't surrounded by our peers, it felt more comfortable to talk.

Nonetheless, our brief friendship was pushed to the back of my head as I prepared notes for a few of the upcoming tests before the semester ended. I haven't received any acceptance letters from my colleges I had sent them to, but I didn't mind, it gave me a little more time to prepare.

Corbyn had come over, hoping that we'd run through materials together and proceed with playing some video games. "Dude." He spoke up as we were in the middle of shooting the enemies, our homework long forgotten in the background. "I think I like someone." He said. It wasn't a conversation we had in a while, because we usually stick our noses in books other than a social life. Of course when it comes to socializing, Corbyn is more experienced than I am, so to hear this from him wasn't too much of a surprise.

"Who?" I asked.

"Christina, the girl in my chemistry class," he said.

"There's a lot of girls with that name and I don't have that class with you," I told him.

"The student that came from Long Island last year," he said.

"Ah, Christina Harris, yeah, she's cute," I admitted, but my mind was still focused on the game. "Why don't you ask her out?"

"Doesn't she have a boyfriend?"

"Not that I know of—then again, I don't know anything because I barely know her," I reminded him. "You could start off with being her friend, get to know her, you know?"

"Yes I know, but... I don't know," he mumbled, his lost of focus caused him to get shot in the head. "What about you? Are you still friends with that Brennan girl?"

"No, not really," I told him.

"Look, I—pause the game, Daniel," he ordered. I rolled my eyes, pausing the game and facing him. "I might've sounded like a dick that time, but that's because I genuinely don't think hanging around those people is good for us, for you especially."

"I know, it's just... it was fun that time," I admitted.

"You almost got arrested, how was that fun?" He laughed.

"The adrenaline, it was fun."

"You can be friends with her, but you can't get involved like that again—I've seen the looks Jack had sent you whenever you guys even looked at each other," he informed, "I don't know who he is to her, but there are rumors that he could hurt you badly if you pull the wrong move on her."

"They're rumors though," I couldn't help but say.

"They could be true," he stated. When I didn't say anything, he clapped his hands onto his lap, "Let's continue studying, the game can wait."

_____

It was Sunday, and I had just gotten back from church, when I noticed a car in front of our house. I mentally groaned at the sight. "Who might be here?" My mom asked as we pulled in our driveway. Prior to now, my mom has never met Brennan and I've never talked to her about her or the things we did. I spotted Brennan's figure sitting by the steps on my porch, her phone in her hands as she played a game. My mom then asked, "Do you know her?"