06

I'm too young to go to jail, so I continued to follow Brennan as the flashlights followed us far behind. I didn't want to make the mistake of looking back, but as if it was automatic, my head turned around to see two police officers not too far from us, but were definitely slowing down.

"Keep your eyes forward, Seavey," I heard Brennan tell as she took large strides forward. She slowed down for a moment, glancing back to see the officers before she grabbed my wrist and pulled me down so we were hiding behind a large tree, large enough for the both of us to fit in this small space. We tried keeping our breathing as quiet as possible, hearing the heavy footsteps of the cops behind us. The sound of leaves crunching beneath boots echoed throughout the silent woods, sticks breaking and the heavy breathing of the officers brought me to keep silent—so silent it was like I wasn't even breathing.

Adrenaline. That was what I was feeling at that moment. I hadn't felt this much adrenaline in all of my eighteen years of living on this earth. The most I've ever endured was during cross country and even then, it was only because of running and how out of breath I was. This time, I was running, out of breath but also hiding from being arrested.

"Lewis, I think we lost them," one of the officers spoke up, their voice distant but loud enough for us to hear. "They looked to be just kids, I don't think it matters—the bridge isn't of any use, there's no point."

"Alright," Lewis sighed, before their footsteps walked away. Brennan was the one to peek behind from where we were, checking to see where they were. After a couple more minutes, she let out a sigh of relief and relaxed in her spot, her back leaning against the tree,as she regained her breath. I did the same, taking it as an indication that they were long gone.

"I... hate you," I let out between breaths. "I told you... we'd get caught."

"If..." She let out a low groan, frustrated how out of breath she was. "If you had just tagged the bridge, we would've finished before they showed up."

It was like a burst of energy had punched itself into me, and I turned to face her, anger clear on my face. "So you're blaming me?"

"I'm blaming your whiney ass for not getting it done, Seavey," she spat, her brows pulled together as her eyes were set in glares. "You're lucky they couldn't find us." She pushed herself up, not bothering to wait a second before she started walking back the direction we had came from. What the hell? I bitterly thought, pushing myself up and following her. I gripped her arm, tugging her to turn around.

"If you didn't choose to do this then we wouldn't be here in the first place," I snapped.

"You better watch your words, Daniel, because without me, you don't know where to go," she retaliated, poking her finger harshly against my chest. It was funny, to be honest. She was smaller than I was, and how angry she was didn't faze me—surprisingly.

"I'll hail a cab," I muttered, pushing past her and walking the same direction towards the roads. Unfortunately for my lack of thinking things through when in the spur of the moment, I had to admit that she was right. I didn't know where to go. I'm not too sure where the Hudson bridge is located specifically, and that was a problem since all that I saw were empty roads lit up with broken street lights.

"Damn it," I muttered under my breath. I tried recalling my memory from the drive to this place, but I wasn't paying too much attention to it and I mentally slapped myself for not being attentive. Relying on luck, I walked in the direction I thought felt right and stayed at the shoulder of the road, frequently glancing behind me in hopes of a car passing by.

Then again, this could be how you die. All movies I've watched that had a hitch-hiker get killed because they entered the wrong car came rushing into my head and I began to feel worried. I looked around, noticing that it was all road, and no life.

The first car you see, dive into some bush and hope they didn't see you, my mind told me. I shook the unnecessary idea away, but froze when I noticed my shadow grow in front of me, indicating headlights behind me. I looked to my side. Maybe it wouldn't have been such a bad idea if it were actual bushes, instead of a deep fall straight down to wildlife.

The car approached me, slowing down as it got closer before it pulled to a stop. Please don't have a gun and shoot me, I thought. The window rolled down, and I almost yelled in relief when I saw Brennan sitting behind the wheel, her face stoic as it looked straight ahead. "Get in the car." Not wanting to be out in the dark any longer, I entered the car and subtly sighed.

It was silent, the radio not on and the tension heavy in the car. I glanced at her, noticing a crease still present between her brows, her lips pressed in a thin line. "I'm sorry," I blurt out without thinking, surprising her. She looked to me for a second, her eyes wide and brows lifted before averting her gaze back on the road.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said those things and I know you were only trying to help me, but I just... I didn't want to get in trouble—especially with the authority," I rambled. "But please, if you have other plans—let them be legal."

I stared at the side of her face, her eyes still locked on the road but I watched her lips lifted up in the corner, her dimple appearing.

"Oh Peter, you've got nothing to worry about," she said, sending me a mischievous grin. "And I'm sorry for getting you involved like that—I was being serious when I said that we could've been done before they showed up, I've been checking their schedules on when they do their rounds for that area," she explained. "We just so happened to be there a minute longer than we should've."

Curiosity came to me at her statement, and I was about to ask how she knew their schedules but when her car suddenly stopped, I looked out the window to see the front yard of my house. That was quick.

"Don't worry for now, there's no adventures after this one," she said, unlocking the door, "not yet at least." 

'm done with school exams and have to wait a week until national exams, but here's an update

fair warning: chapters in this book will be shorter than how i wrote in how to love since i have an idea of when to end the story, and also since this isn't too much of a hella angsty book (unlike how to love with quite the amount) it's going to go by quite fast :)x