Chapter Seven - The Howler

A week had passed of nothing happening, causing Shaula to believe that the bad feeling was just that, a feeling. That she was being paranoid and nothing was going to occur. It was only when her guard finally starting coming down that it happened.

As the mail came on the following Monday, a bright red envelope arrived. Shaula was sitting at the Ravenclaw table, her pitch black baby kneazle Nightshade lying in her lap. Pandora sat across from her, scanning over her letter when Sirius yelled across the room.

"SHAULA!"

She quickly looked up and made her way speedily to Sirius, Pandora hot on her heels as they sat next to Peter. Everyone stares at the howler, even the rest of the Gryffindor table.

"You should probably open that mate..." James says quietly,eyes never leaving the envelope. Sirius nods slowly and reaches for the envelope. They all sharply inhale, and then it begins.

"SIRIUS ORION BLACK! YOU SHAME OUR FAMILY! THE MOST ANCIENT AND NOBLE HOUSE OF BLACK. HOW DARE YOU BECOME A TRAITOROUS GRYFFINDOR. I DEMAND FOR YOU TO BE RESORTED INTO SLYTHERIN. I SWEAR IF YOU DO-"

The screeching voice of the twins mother is cut of by Shaula as she dumps a goblet of pumpkin juice onto it. She then grabs the envelope and tears it in half, then tears it once more for good measure. It's all silent from everyone in the Hall for a couple seconds, before chatter slowly grows and it was easily distinguishable that everyone had begun gossiping about the howler.

"Did you just..." Sirius trails off as he stares at his sister in shock, as does the rest of the boys. Pandora blinks at Shaula, concern in her eyes but appearing to seem unfazed to the majority of everyone around them.

"Her voice has always grated on my nerves. I've wanted to stop her speaking for so long now." Shaula looks up at Sirius, teaching over to squeeze his hand and then stands up. "Don't worry too much Sirius, you won't have to see her until Christmas at the earliest."

She begins to leave with Pandora, heading to her first class before her name is called once more. Both girls turn back to the male Black, who holds out two white envelopes this time. Shaula takes them, saying "Thanks" and walks to her class in silence for a couple minutes.

"Are you okay Shaula?" asks Pandora, breaking the quiet air around them. Their arms were looped together, just like their first day of lessons when Shaula thought Pandora may walk into a wall. The pair had gotten into the habit of walking with their arms looped, directing the other when she had gone off into a daze.

"Yes, I'll be fine. It's Sirius I'm more worried about, but right now all I can think of is the letter mother has most likely sent." Shaula replies softly, the two letters having been neatly tucked into one of the pockets of her robe as they had been walking.

"Read it after we have our classes. Now, put it into your bag and forget it. You can worry later, you don't want to be distracted during Potions." said Pandora as she steered her black haired friend into the dungeons. Shaula nodded and placed her letter in her bag, keeping it out of her head for the rest of the day.

It's in the evening when Shaula remembers it again. Pandora and Shaula were sat outside near the Black Lake, finishing off some homework. Shaula reached over to her school bag and dug around for her two letters. Opening the one and hoping it was from Regulus, she breathed a sigh of relief when she realised she had guessed right.

My dear Sister,

Well done in getting Ravenclaw. It may not be as good as Slytherin but it's acceptable.

Mother and Father are furious with Sirius. I can't believe he went to Gryffindor, he must be a blood traitor. Cousin Cissa says he's been hanging around the blood traitor Potter and some other blood traitors. She doesn't know who they are though.