Chapter 19

***Warning Slight Gore***

My senses return slowly, starting with smell. A strong scent hits me, a sickening almost metallic aroma, which would have made me gag if I were in the right state of mind. Taste comes next, I can almost taste the smell it's so strong, and as feeling returns to my tongue I let it roam over my cracked, dry lips. This time I really could taste the thick copper. Familiar to me, but not quite recognizable.

I slowly feel the numbness exit my hands, a stickiness covers them, and as my hands finally curl, I feel something thick and warm ooze its way through my fingers. A sickening feeling, yet almost fascinating.

Hearing follows. All I can hear is the pounding of my own heart, my breathing heavy as I slowly regained feeling throughout my body. An aching in my muscles present, but hardly noticeable against the strong feeling of dread that sat just at the bottom of my stomach.

Finally my vision returns, adjusting slowly to the darkness around me, the first thing I see is the ground which I lay on, cold and hard. I push up on shaky, sore arms, only to notice a thick red covering my pale hands. I stop, my eyes watching it glint in the small bit of light that shone into whatever building I now sat in.

I feel myself involuntarily gulp, as I push the rest of the way up, feeling my muscles tense with the slight movement. I clench my hand shut, feeling that same oozing, only looking at it now made it so much worse, as the repulsive crimson dripped to the floor. I let my wide, glazed over eyes move up, more of the same red covered the floor, in splatters and puddles that seemed to reflect no light.

I feel my tongue reluctantly trace my parched lips again, and this time I recognize the strong taste. It's the same taste after I'd so many times bit my tongue or lip, and felt my own red leak from it. That's when I feel my hands begin to shake.

I feel my face pale as I finally look across the floor.

A body lays, the pallor of a corpse. Yet, as I crawl my way closer, I feel any dread replaced with stone cold terror.

It was the man, I remembered him. The one Anti had been fighting with before everything went black. But he was hardly recognizable anymore.

His chest was ripped open, as though shredded by a wild animal. The crimson that once flowed through his veins now lay around him in nauseating puddles. His internal organs which once kept him alive now lay falling lazily from the cavity in his chest. I can't pull my eyes away despite the bile I feel rise in my throat, threatening to spill out and mix with the garlands of red scattered about.

Finally I manage to pull my eyes away from the grotesque display of crimson and I let my eyes wander up to his face, all my urges screaming at me to get away.

His eyes remained wide, staring directly at me almost seeming to blame me for his cruel demise. The last bits of fear he surely felt were stuck in those lifeless orbs, glazed over so they almost looked gray, contrasting the red dotted across his insipid face. His mouth remained ajar, a silent scream for help, for mercy still present.

Did I do this...?

I slowly stand, feeling the bile burn at the back of my throat, I back up, feeling my shoes splash in a couple puddles of the thick blood. I back away from the carcass, until I feel my back hit the cold wall.

That's when my legs give way. I fall to the floor, finally noticing the red staining my once gray shirt. I feel my chest tighten as finally it catches up with me. I realize this isn't a dream like I'd been hoping, like I'd been praying. That's when the first tear breaks free.