Chapter 36

((hey guys i'm currently running on 3 hours of sleep, and can't focus on anything :D So I figured that's a perfect time to write :) ))

~~~~~~~~~~Anti's POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once I had finished recounting all that I'd seen, all that Anti had told me, everything was silent. My head rang with a certain kind of fuzz at the lack of noise, Mark didn't move to speak, and even Chica lie in another room, as though aware of the situation herself.

My hand had not left his, the warmth a gentle comfort amongst everything. His thumb moved to rub small circles into the back of my hand, skin shivering pleasantly with the tender touch.

A few minutes pass, silence gnawing at their insides. It hung in the air like the suspended moment before a falling glass shatters on the ground. The silence was like a gaping void, needing to be filled with sounds, words, anything. The stillness was poisonous in its nothingness, cruelly underscoring how dire their situation had become. It was eerily unnatural, like a dawn devoid of birdsong, clinging to them like a poisonous cloud that at any moment could choke the life from them.

Mark is the first to break it, voice cutting through the thick fog of uneasiness with its gentle nature. Words drenched in a sense of apprehension, adding a sense of urgency to every word that rolled off of his tongue.

"How do you know...?"

I feel my heart drop, lower than my stomach, past my feet only to be buried beneath me. The silence in my head echoes. Where I expected anger to erupt, annoyance to interfere, or even the familiar sense of resentment. Instead it resonances with an emptiness, I could feel him within my mind, listening, but he stayed silent. I could almost feel his thoughts wander, see those green eyes gloss over with unforgotten pain.

"Sean... I trust your judgement..."

He speaks softly, thumb pausing toward the middle of my hand, comfort fleeing as the tingle of his finger halted. As though seeing the hurt that stung my eyes with his words, desperate to explain himself.

"But we can't forget what Anti has done... What he's put you through... What if this is him trying to get to you again... To break you..."

I feel my teeth catch my lip, chewing on it thoughtfully. I don't know what to believe anymore...

~~~~~~Mark's POV~~~~~~

I let my eyes wander downward, watching his teeth chew the skin on his lips attentively, a new confusion dancing in those sapphire eyes.

I feel his hand tense in mine for merely a moment. Looking back up to his eyes I watch them glaze over with unspoken thoughts, until finally they close.

Simply a moment, his hand pulling away from mine, leaving it with a cold emptiness, they open again.

A neon green floods those eyes, slowly overtaking the gentle blue. I feel my back straighten, however as I study those eyes I feel my body relax.

They swam with a mix of emotions, each one hiding another just behind it. A fog of nostalgia sits atop, as though he held a certain kind of fondness to the memories. Under that it only got worse. The nostalgia gave way to a dull ache, one that very clearly weighed down on him, driving him closer and closer to giving up.