Chapter 40

((Really wish I could've written this chapter better :/ but if I tried to make it perfect it'd be like another month before this gets released :) So here ya go. Oh and real quick I want to apologize that this story has kinda been all over the place. For a long time I wasn't sure where I wanted it to go))

~~~~~~Dark's POV~~~~~~

I watch his diamond eyes gloss over softly, any hints of green receding. His eyes don't leave mine, hand returning my grip, almost desperate to keep this sense of peace I'd given him. Freedom from the pounding that threatened to crack his skull.

I feel the pressure of Anti, fighting, yelling, it causes an unpleasant heaviness over my mind, yet I keep up the barrier, allow Sean's focus to remain solely on me.

"Allow me to tell you about Septiceye.... About the traitor..."

I spat the word 'traitor', it's such a disgusting word, a word I'd hoped never to associate with Anti himself. I don't consider him to be such a thing, a traitor is one who turns against everything they've ever believed in. The only difference between Antisepticeye and a traitor... Is that Anti never believed...

"I'm sure he's told you his side of the story... Perhaps even shown you..."

I search through his eyes for some kind of assurance that this was true, a small flash of painful recognition proves this. I let my thumb trace over his knuckles, wincing as the barrier cracked, his demon grew angrier, more resentful as the minutes pass.

"It's all true... All he went through, all I'd done to him... but what he didn't tell you... What he doesn't know... is why..."

For the first time in a long time I feel the need to look away from his ocean colored eyes, from the hazy look he gave me, intent on learning the truth, I can't tell if that's the human or Anti...

"We demons... We all serve a purpose, we weaker bunch, serve the higher ups without question, and the higher ups, the more powerful of us, run things ruthlessly, even talking about change can get us killed."

I let the words flow eloquently from my tongue, let my gaze avert from the man in front of me.

"It's not fair, I won't pretend it is, but the fear of what's to come keeps us all in line... Well, most of us."

I let my eyes instead rest on our intertwined hands, his pale skin seeming to almost glow in the gentle lighting.

"Anti... He was different... He went through the same... training... we all did. However, he was, more powerful than he should have been."

I let my voice grow quieter, feeling the words begin to catch in my throat before escaping in a quiet half-whisper. I think back to first meeting him, it was obvious how powerful he was. You could feel it radiate from him, you could see it looking into those neon colored eyes, it had been intimidating.

He knew how much power there was bottled up in his small form, he carried himself with confidence that made that clear, sure of himself, and not afraid of the council like he was meant to be. During the training, he made that blatantly obvious, he spent every day fighting against whatever order he had been given, more than a few had been hurt trying to force him into submission.

They tried to break him, tried to make him some kind of weapon. He refused.

"He was down there for months, and they still couldn't break him, they couldn't control his power... and he-"