Chapter #2

I gulped...

What do we need to talk about? But even I knew better, I just didn't want to confront the past with him... not like this anyway...

"A—About?" I stammered.

He sighed, and looked down, taking in calming breaths.

I waited for him to compose himself, my back stiff with the anticipation of his next words. I didn't want to ruin our friendship, but I knew that kissing him had already sealed my own doom. I had heard all about relationships and I've seen how they hurt my friends, and I don't want that to happen to me, I want to be free. Maybe Ethan would understand and I could say that I wasn't thinking straight.

Surely, he'd respect that... right...?

I frowned when I asked myself that question, and before I dove into my endless pit of thoughts, Ethan's voice came in.

"Heather?" He asked, looking at me with concerned eyes, "Heather, are you listening to me?" He asked.

I nodded but I didn't want to speak. Maybe my voice would waver and I'd sound weak. I don't want that. I don't want people to think that of me. Especially not Ethan.

"Heather, we can't have anything, if we don't talk about things." Ethan said.

I frowned at him, slight anger warming me up. He's the one that kissed me... He started it. I stayed quiet about it all.

I didn't mean to shift the ambience of our relationship...

I didn't mean to, I didn't mean to, I didn't mean to! I repeated to myself. Tears started welding in my eyes again. I looked down, holding my breath, trying the control my breathing so that he and I could follow through with what he said to say, have a smooth conversation, without interruptions.

"Heather..." He looked at me quizzically, trying to lift my chin up but I snapped my head away from him, the frown on my forehead causing a light pressure on my head.

"What...?" I muttered, still looking down. I focused on the short coffee table, trying to distract myself from crying.

"Heather?" He asked.

I didn't answer.

"Heather, talk to me." He pleaded.

I shut my eyes tightly and shook my head ever so slightly.

"Talk to me dammit!" He yelled, slapping the couch nearby.

I flinched.

He changed... I thought to myself. Ethan was so calm before, so easy going, always playing around, but everything seemed to have taken a bitter twist to him. Maybe that's what happens when you have to move to Indonesia, and then go through adolescence in the UK...

And then you lose all hope and forget your Forever...

That's when the first tear rolled down my cheek. I bit down on my quivering lip, trying to stop another tear from slipping out, but it did. I felt like bursting in tears, I couldn't take it anymore. He was asking for too much in such a short time, I wasn't ready to talk about David or anything that had happened when he was gone. The knot in my throat only made me feel like I was choking on my own feelings, feelings that felt like they were trying to push out of my mouth, but I continued to ram them back and they congested in my throat, stuffing me...

I swallowed, my hands trembling like a leaf in the wind, "C—can I please g—go sleep?" I cried. I let my eyes shift to his eyes which were rounded in deep concern.

"Heather, I—"

"Please." I cut him off, it came out, barely as a whisper; and more tears rolled down my cheeks. I felt my face crumbling when I asked and more tears rolled down.