Chapter #7

When some of the shock wore off and my mind snapped back to reality, the first thing I did was untie my hair. If someone saw this I wouldn't get the end of it, until something else happens to me.

My brushed curls were just enough to cover up my neck, but the dark patch was visible because of the tank top I wore.

"Fuck..." I cursed, I don't even have a sweater today!

I thought about anyone who usually had a sweater, and then I remembered, Stacey!

In a rush, I left the bathroom, checking left and right to make sure there was nobody that had already made it back to the main building from the lunch hall. Quickly coming out, I closed the door to the teacher's cubicle and ran to the library where Stacey said she'd be so she could get some books checked out.

I arrived at the library, a little breathless, as I fixed my hair back atop of my neck, nodded stiffly to the librarian in greeting, and then went around looking for Stacey. I went into the fiction part of the library – on the right of the library's main entrance– looking down each of the aisles, and even looked up at the incomprehensibly tall shelves as if I'd find her up there.

I needed a sweater, that's all. No more. I needed to talk to her, to someone.

Walking back to the library's frontdoors, I crossed over to the non-fiction part of the library, crossing a large corridor, looking at shelves from top to bottom, and down the countless rows of shelves. I was reaching the end of the aisles, and that when I heard laughing then a quick hushing.

Quickly picking up my pace and walking in the direction of the familiar laugh, I saw her sitting on a bright yellow bean bag, along with some guy sitting opposite her on a blue bean bag. 

I sighed in relief, but something felt odd. I padded over to her, getting on my knees as I sat on my heels, "Stacey, c—can I borrow your sweater?" I asked, as I was looking next to her in hopes of seeing her sweater somewhere, but it wasn't.

"I didn't bring it today." She winced.

"Shit..." I mumbled.

I was about to stand up but she quickly grabbed my wrist, "Why? What's wrong?"

I swallowed, and her eyes darted at my throat, "Nothi—"

"What is that?!" She gasped, pushing the hair off my neck, slowly grazing over the dark patch with the cold tips of her fingers.

I quickly looked at the guy she was sitting with, who had kept oddly quiet throughout our conversation, "Nothing!" I said quickly, but as I looked down in defeat, tears welded in my eyes, I blinked once, and they fell onto of my jean cladded thighs.

"Nothing..." I mumbled again.

Nothing I swear.... I repeated to myself, I felt my stomach clench, as I held myself tightly.

"No. Heather. What happened?" She left no room for me to argue against her, but I needed a sweater.

"Do you have a sweater or not?" I asked again, sighing hopelessly, as I looked up at the ceiling and wiped my tears.

Her eyes rounded with fear in complete understanding as to why I needed one, and right as she was about to speak, the guy next to her spoke, "I do."

His answer made my heart beat hopefully. I looked at him, as he tugged the back of the sweater he wore, pulling it over his head, "Here..." He handed me the sweater.

I looked warily at Stacey, and then back at him, and reached out for it. I quickly passed it on top of my head, without putting it over the rest of my body, I wrapped the sleeves of his sweater around my neck; making it look like a scarf of some sort.