Chapter #6

I woke up the next day, completely unwilling to go to school. Not only was the hot weather becoming more of a bother, but there was a strange feeling in my stomach when I thought about what had happened with Ethan before he left last night...

How can you just let him do that? I grumbled to myself, and padded to the bathroom, as I got ready for school.

I walked back in my room, and put on a tank top, a pair of jeans and my high tops. I brushed my curls out, and tied my hair into a ponytail, a big fluff of hair sat at the back of my head as I finished tying it up. I looked at myself contently and went downstairs.

Nobody was up yet, and I was not in the mood to look at any new messages, so I quietly looked through the cabinets for my breakfast.

***

On the bus, Jennifer had a huge smile on her face. I frowned, and an amused smile tugged at my lips, "What?"

"I saw this really cute boy at the store yesterday." She shut her eyes tightly and squealed.

I snorted out a laugh, "Oh god... and?" I asked her curiously.

"Heather, he was hands down, drop dead, gorgeous!" She panted as she spoke.

I laughed, "Did you ask him for his name?"

"No?" She said, looking at me like I grew two heads.

"Awwww, are you shy?!" I squealed as I began teasing her and giggled like a little school girl. 

She rolled her eyes, and told me about how her little sister had annoyed her last night because of her crying and we chatted the whole way to school.

***

Maybe today just wasn't my day... again... but I was in no mood to laugh today, so that was nice, and even if Jennifer had somewhat cheered me up, the weight on my shoulders came slamming back down the moment I stepped out of the bus.

I roughly knew Ethan's schedule and I had an idea of where he usually sat in class, which was great, because that made it easier for me to know which places to avoid. I didn't want to talk to him. Not... not now at least...

I sat quietly in homeroom as my classmates filled the classroom, and if only Mr, Brian, hadn't interrupted my thoughts...

He first faked a gasp, "What's wrong Heather? Two days in a row?!" He said in such a mockingly caring tone.

I rolled my eyes, smiling a bit, "Nothing..." I said, looking down at the smooth surface of the table I was seated at.

"Is it a boy?" He said in the same mocking tone.

I tensed up for a split second, and immediately tried to relax my stiff muscles, my eyes darted everywhere in the classroom, but nobody looked our way, I glared at Mr. Brian playfully, "Noooo!" I stretched my answer, but it was only to make it obvious that I meant 'Yes.'

Then he gasped, "He must be quite special for you to be sad for so long!" He gushed. Mr. Brian laughed and said, "A new victim?" He teased.

I scoffed, "Ew. No." I said, and Mr. Brian burst out laughing.

"Heather likes a boyyy!" He sang, I rolled my eyes, and right as I was about to reply, Margo and Jennifer barged in, loud and proud giggling like something really funny happened.

"HI MR. BRIAN!" Jennifer greeted.

"Hello Jennifer." He said in a semi-serious tone as if to show how 'professional' of a teacher he is.

"Hi Heather!" Margo greeted.

If only I could smile without having to force it, "Hi!" I chirped.