Chapter #14

I turned around and cursed at myself for having the slightest spark of hope in my chest, but my face deadpanned when I saw Damien propping his elbow against the doorframe of my room, leaning against it.

"What do you want?" I grumbled as I went back to sorting through my clothes.

He was quiet for a bit, then he spoke, "Oh! Um, the guys, and the girls, are having a campfire by the lake, I just wanted to tell you, that's it."

I looked at him, a little lost, "Okay." I said, and went back to looking through for my underwear, "Thanks..." I said quietly.

"Don't mention it." I could hear the smile in his words and he left. While I contemplated going to sleep, I also thought it would be a waste to come all the way here just to sleep. So I decided I would go.

***

As I walked down the hallway, I pranced down the stairs, in nothing but socks, booty shorts, and a comfortably large hoodie that covered my slowly fading hickey—more or less. I raked my fingers through my wet curls into my left hand, as I tied my hair in a loose ponytail, hoping I wouldn't get bad knots tomorrow from not combing it.

As I walked down the porch's cold steps, I started regretting that I decided to wear booty shorts, but there was in me telling me to do it.

Maybe I could get a rise out of Ethan... I said to myself stupidly.

Of course, I know Ethan has better things to do other than watching me bounce around the place in booty shorts, but that doesn't mean I won't try. I heard laughter straight ahead of me, and there was a big fire blazing in the distance, and ambers danced above it as the fire crackled with every amber snuffing out before they made it to the sky. My friends were all seated around the fire, mats and blankets on the ground as they enjoyed the warm flames, and when I saw how everyone was dispersed, I started getting worried.

Luka, Barry, and Hugo sat together, talking about football and judging team players. Next to them was Francis cuddling with Stacey, as she rested her head on his shoulder, Amy and Damien were talking about God knows what and they had their hands laced together, as they tried to laugh as quietly as possible, and then there was Annabel and Zack.

"Hmpf." I grunted, as I squinted my eyes at them, as if I was glaring at them and asking 'What?' in suspicion.

They were raising and making their eyebrows dance, nodding in my general direction, but not quite at me. More at... and then I saw the only person that gave me the reason to why I came here in the first place. Ethan sat with his legs crossed, as he leaned against his palms and intensely watched the flames of the fire deep in thought.

My stomach erupted with butterflies and I quietly thanked my friends for being idiots to me, but also for giving me what they know I wanted: Ethan, and I won't deny it! I'm happy they 'forced me' next to Ethan. That's all I really wanted; to be close to him.

"Hey, can I sit here?" I asked, as I already started lowering myself.

Ethan's head whipped as he saw my legs, and his eyes roamed up them and then settled on my face, "I- um, yeah, sure." He said quickly. He scooted a little to make more space, but that's really not what I wanted. I wanted him to be closer to me, and then maybe he could keep me warm?

As I hugged my legs to my chest, I quietly watched the fire as well, and I saw Zack looking at me a little worried. He nodded at me, as if he was asking me what was wrong as there was a silent pleading in his eyes. I shook my head and looked back down at the fire.

"Hey, Ethan, remember that one time we went out, and you got drunk?" Zack started, saying it a little loudly, as it got the attention of a few of us.