Chapter #4

Waking up for school with an immense amount of weight weighing down on my shoulders. I did not feel like I could do anything... With no energy in me to even put up a smile for myself in the mirror, I told myself I would be quiet. 

I've done it before, and I can do it again, I told myself. 

I padded over to my door, opened it, and went to the bathroom. I closed my eyes as I sat on the closed toilet lid, completely exhausted from crying last night. 

I just need a few more minutes to myself...

I washed my face with cold water and went back to my room. Picking out a pair of dark grey leggings, and a striped black and white long-sleeved shirt. I put my socks on and grabbed my black and white high tops, then quietly went down the stairs then I proceeded through to the kitchen looking for something to eat.

I wasn't big on breakfast today, so I settled for a cup of tea...

***

As I got on the bus, I was about to start blabbering about my weekend to Jennifer, but I swallowed and decided against it. I said good morning to her and sat in the seat in front of her.

I had nothing to say for today, nothing of importance anyways... besides... what happened was between me and Ethan and I had no reason to drag my friends into it too. 

I can deal with it myself, I told myself in hopes that I would actually believe the words I was telling myself. 

***

"Why the sad face Heather?" Mr. Brian pouted at me as he took the Homeroom attendance.

I pressed my lips together as I looked around my homeroom, "Nothing..." I said calmly. 

He seemed to have picked up on my dimmed mood, and just went back to his laptop screen, rather than teasing me like he usually does. I sighed and looked down at the table I had sat at. The bell rang and a the rest of my homeroom classmates walked in. 

"Morning, children." Mr. Brian said with his eyes fixed on his screen as he greeted the students that were entering the classroom.

The students didn't said anything as they all chatted away, and right as I was about to snuggle into my green sweater, the familiar high pitched voice cut through the air, "Hi mister Brian!" She greeted cheerfully.

I kept my face buried in the crook of my arm.

Margo seemed to have caught onto my mood, and she ruffled my hair.

Holy fuck, do you have any idea how long it took me to brush all the knots out?! I wanted to yell at her. But I looked up at her instead. Mustering a smile, "Hi." I said.

She plopped onto the seat next to me, dropping her bag, "So—" but she was cut short when she realized that Jennifer and Annabel weren't here yet... "Where are Annabel and Jennifer?" She frowned.

"I don't know..." I shrugged, "Probably still walking up." I suggested sleepily, there wasn't a single nerve in my body that wanted to talk to her.

She didn't say anything and looked behind me. I was about to turn around, but then she slapped the table, a wide grin on her face, "Okay! So! I was talking to Ethan, and then, so like—"

She is so whipped... I grimaced to myself, but I knew I was whipped as well... I wouldn't be acting like this for anyone else, but for Ethan? I guess my whole bitchy attitude was because I didn't want her having him before me... 

I placed a hand under my chin, "Yeah?" I smiled this time, looking at her trying to look as curious as possible.

"So like, we were talking this whole weekend, and then, I asked him if he wanted to go out on a date with me, like, lunch or something," she said with a wild look in her eyes and a huge  smile, "and he said 'Yes'!" She squealed. My face fell so fast. It wasn't like I didn't hear it before, but hearing her say it hurt me, but then I quickly covered it up, "Oh my god! That's really cool!" I lied with the brightest fake smile I have ever had.