Chapter #5

I was completely speechless, "Eth-Hi."

"Good evening, Heather." He said seriously, a shimmer of mischief in his eyes. His eyebrow quirked up, and my breath hitched.

My mom spoke, "He's having dinner with us."

"Oh, I just wanted to talk to Heather actually." He stated with a tone that my mother didn't understand, but I knew it weighed on the promise he had made to himself before he came, as he looked at me intensely.

My mom tapped his shoulder lightly, "Oh! Nonsense! You're having dinner, it would be rude for you to watch us eat and your mom would probably hate me for not feeding her son!" She exclaimed.

Ethan chuckled. Something I hadn't heard him do all day... I slowly turned around and walked back to my room as my mom kept him busy. But as soon as I was out of sight, I heard him, "Excuse me, Mrs. Dean, but I really need to talk to Heather."

That's when I sprinted to my room. I almost slammed the door close, but the four fingers clamped on the doorframe prevented me from closing it completely, but I heard him shout in pain when I had accidentally slammed the door against his fingers.

I gasped, "Oh shit."

Quickly, I opened the door, and grabbed his uninjured hand and pulled him to my bed. He plopped down and I glanced at his fingers, as he cradled them. I turned on my heel, leaving my room and going to the bathroom. Looking for some sort of wrapping material, I found some gauze and went back to my room. His head snapped up to me when he heard me come in.

It looked like a trick of light but the circles around his eyes seemingly grew darker. It only made him look even more intimidating than he already was, but I just looked down at the gauze and slowly padded to him. I kneeled between his legs, and slowly pulled his wrist towards me.

I started wrapping his fingers, trying to be as delicate as possible, but he hissed in pain. I flinched away, avoiding his gaze, and resumed to wrapping them when he visibly relaxed.

"Why do you do that?" He asked as I almost finished wrapping the gauze around.

"Do what?" I mumbled, focusing on the task.

"Flinch." He said.

David, I thought.

But I just shrugged, giving him a silent answer.

"Why?" He sighed.

I didn't reply, and I kept wrapping his injury.

"Heather." He said warningly, but I kept quiet. He called my name once more.

Then twice.

Then thrice.

"Why don't you want to talk to me?!" He shouted.

I flinched at his tone and swallowed as I felt tears again.

Tears, tears, tears, always tears. It never stops.

I'm so weak... I thought to myself.

He sighed, his shoulders slumping, "I'm sorry..." He mumbled himself.

I looked at him, "It's fine..." I whispered, and a tear rolled down my cheek which I quickly wiped away, "Just keep your apologies for someone that matters." I said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked, his tone sounding a little aggravated.

I shook my head with sadness in my eyes, "Nothing." I muttered.

I picked myself up, pushing myself off my knees, as I stood in front of him.

"What do you want?" I croaked looking down at him.